Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Priest to Atheist to Buddhist
RE: Christian Priest to Atheist to Buddhist
Buddhism is a greatly varied practice, having as many differences as to basic beliefs as other religions like Christianity. I find it amusing that you appeal to the "No True Scotsman" fallacy to attempt to purify the image of Buddhism, but for every Buddhist about whom what you said is true, there are a dozen others for whom it is false. There are many ways to slice up the Buddhist pie, and I think the differences between eastern and western Buddhism are quite telling. Western Buddhism tends to be sanitized of the religiousness of eastern Buddhism and is fertile ground for the "No True Buddhist"' style of apologetic. Regardless of east or west, there is a core of hagiography surrounding Siddhartha and his teachings with all the trappings that follow from deification of a mortal. In one Buddhist chant you find the refrain that the way of the Buddha is unsurpassable. How would you know, except through faith and idolization of Siddhartha? To my view, Siddhartha was just another religious charlatan, who packaged up a "method" and sold it to the yokels. And the attempt to sell the faith to the yokels continues to this day.

One of my favorite quotes about Buddhism comes from a former member, Rhythm. He said, "The monk and the priest both smile from the door of the temple. They're not actually smiling, they're just baring their teeth."

I didn't intend to get into this, but some of the religious silliness of Buddhists, combined with the ever present attempt to white wash Buddhist beliefs, just irritates me.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christian Priest to Atheist to Buddhist - by Angrboda - May 8, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am a Christian Atheist... what? Help. Tucker 23 3964 May 3, 2015 at 11:57 am
Last Post: urlawyer
  Christian Everything -> Atheist Faber 3 1373 June 4, 2014 at 9:47 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Hello I'm a Christian...Atheist... what. NeuerMensch 22 6541 January 10, 2014 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Christian to wiccan to new age to atheist k2490 12 4770 October 16, 2013 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Fruity
  Christian->Budhist->Atheist yuriythebest 6 2689 August 27, 2010 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist