Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Priest to Atheist to Buddhist
RE: Christian Priest to Atheist to Buddhist
(May 8, 2014 at 8:51 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: There's a Linji school of buddhism responsible for the "Zen Slap" that was more or less referenced in I Heart Huckabees.

As part of the iconoclastic tradition, Linji Yixuan would instruct a student to meditate. They could be at this for hours, or days, and Linji would run up, and start beating the everloving fuck out of his student with a cane, or a horsetail whip. Most initiates would continue meditating through the beating, which would continue by surprise attack, until the student either took the whip, hit him back, or shouted at him to stop. The point being, that the student had not achieved enlightenment by tuning out the beating, but by responding to stop it, eroding the distinction between the student and the master.

"The Master [Linji] saw a monk coming and held his fly whisk straight up. The monk made a low bow, whereupon the Master struck him a blow. The Master saw another monk coming and again held his fly whisk straight up. The monk paid no attention, whereupon the Master struck him a blow as well."

~ Watson, Burton (1999), The Zen Teachings of Master Lin-Chi: A Translation of the Lin-chi lu (referenced on Wikipedia)

(May 8, 2014 at 7:32 pm)BlackSwordsman Wrote:
(May 8, 2014 at 4:48 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Maybe the muslims simply bring out the worst in people?

Perhaps asking why is a good place to start.

https://www.facebook.com/BuddhistsinBurma

A Buddhist linking to sectarian accounts of the violence in Burma does little to undermine the claim that Buddhists are stirring up sectarian violence.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christian Priest to Atheist to Buddhist - by Angrboda - May 9, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am a Christian Atheist... what? Help. Tucker 23 3994 May 3, 2015 at 11:57 am
Last Post: urlawyer
  Christian Everything -> Atheist Faber 3 1395 June 4, 2014 at 9:47 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Hello I'm a Christian...Atheist... what. NeuerMensch 22 6560 January 10, 2014 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Christian to wiccan to new age to atheist k2490 12 4809 October 16, 2013 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Fruity
  Christian->Budhist->Atheist yuriythebest 6 2711 August 27, 2010 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist