Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For football/soccer fans, predictions for the World Cup
RE: For football/soccer fans, predictions for the World Cup
(July 23, 2014 at 6:28 am)BlackMason Wrote: Actually I'm a bit of a boxing fan. I hate Ali because I think he is an example of a villain that succeeded and the world seems oblivious to that. I watched a documentary on the thriller in Manila. It changed my view of Ali.

I'm not a fan of Ali, I personally don't think he was 'the greatest'. In the mainstream most people think of him as a hero or whatever but in reality he was a very nasty man. All of his episodes with Joe Frazier were just a case of him being a total douche. He continually called him an Uncle Tom, a gorilla, all sorts. Muhammad Ali was not a nice guy.

Quote:When it comes to this type of discussion, who the greatest are, I think accolades are a very important factor. They are all the necessary qualities of sport condensed into one shiny belt, cup or statue.

They are a factor, but it depends really IMHO on how important they are.

Quote: I guess I'm an imbecile because I think Tyson is the goat.

Heh, well, I don't want to call you an idiot but...

Quote: Not many people were able to unify the IBF, WBA and WBC titles. He did this at the age of 21! Tyson dominated. Just look at Busta Douglas fight, the McNeeley fight and even the Lou Savarese. These are just a few I'm picking off the top of my head.

Look at the Buster Douglas fight? You do know he got knocked out that fight right? By a nobody? When he was supposedly in his prime? Lou Savarese and McNeeley were not exactly world championship fighters either. In truth Tyson never really fought anyone all that great, people massively overestimate how good he was. He ducked the competition and was frankly a disgusting human being. You think Ali was bad? Tyson was a woman beating rapist. He was a complete disgrace to the sport when he bit Evander's ear, not once but twice. If he was truly the best he would have had a much better legacy than what he left, there's plenty of fighters who have better legacies.

Quote:More to the point: Messi has 4 Ballon d'Ors that were achieved in legendary succession. Jordan's double three-peat championship rings are an ode by themselves to just how completely unquestionable his status as goat is.

The Ballon d'Ors aren't really comparable to championship rings seen as you get voted to win a Ballon d'Or. I mean, for the last two years Franck Ribery has been one of the most voted for players, he isn't even the best player on Bayern Munich let alone in the world. I honestly couldn't give two fucks about the Ballon d'Or.

Quote:We have different criteria for how we determine the best players. I think we should just leave it at that.

Yep, we should argue about boxing instead.

Messages In This Thread
RE: For football/soccer fans, predictions for the World Cup - by Napoléon - July 23, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2023 Rugby World Cup Nanny 28 1800 October 28, 2023 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Aussie Rules Football MarcusA 1 411 August 20, 2023 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Superbowl predictions Brian37 22 1796 February 13, 2023 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Snooker and football Interaktive 4 910 April 20, 2022 at 9:37 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Questions and Observations for American Football Fans Brian37 75 5141 November 1, 2021 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Abusive sports fans. 0P Brian37 20 1746 June 7, 2021 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Another attempt at spring pro football. Brian37 0 443 May 29, 2021 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Sports, football vs figure skating...... Brian37 11 962 January 16, 2021 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Washington Football Team vs Seahawks Brian37 32 1507 December 20, 2020 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Ok sports fans, no matter the sport........ Brian37 7 518 December 12, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4