Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
converting back unto theism - yes it's true.
RE: converting back unto theism - yes it's true.
(March 13, 2010 at 9:07 pm)Xyster Wrote: NO At least not the ferosity that religion drives one too. tribe vs tribe would be political power over a region for resources... Religion will set neighbor against neighbor to the point of Genocide

Maybe, but I'm not so sure mankind wouldn't figure out other reasons to kill each other. Nonetheless, religion is something we have to deal with (no matter how illogical we "know" it is). Moreover, I simply don't take the view that the majority of mankind is plagued by sinister motives (which compells them to sign up with their nearest religious cult). That seems as bad as the occasional inference by theists that there's a global anti-god conspiracy among scientists (and they're secretly collaborating on ways to detach humanity from religiosity). It smacks of the same paranoia (a survival mechanism inherited from natural selection) that's probably part-responsible for starting this whole mess in the first place.

(March 13, 2010 at 4:54 pm)Frank Wrote: I'd say religion is a symptom of a characteristic of human nature we haven't come to fully understand yet. I think maybe our survival instinct can work against us under certain conditions. For instance, early man formed tribes, because it was beneficial to hunt and work in groups. It's a survival mechanism. However, dualistic thinking also seems to be an inherited trait. I'm not a evolutionary or socio-biologist (so I'm not sure how this trait originated - perhaps because of some sort of instinctual paranoia developed through natural selection as a survival mechanism ... who knows), but it seems to be a predominant feature of human psychology. Sometimes our survival instinct combines with our predisposition towards dualism to produce a bad result.

We're pattern seeking creatures who like explanations for things. Obviously early man must have been overwhelmed by natural phenomena, and their general lack of understanding of the natural world probably resulted in all sorts of bizarre superstitions that ultimately led to the development of more complex religious systems (just to mention one of what must have been numerous factors that contributed to the development of modern religion). However, if these conditions didn't exist, groups would have cooperated for different cultural reasons, and there's no evidence to suggest we would be any less dualistic as a result (so we can fairly assume fighting between different groups of people would still happen).

However, religion presents a particularly difficult problem (which I fully acknowledge). Dealing with irrational religious faith is much different than dealing with a secularized form of tribalism (like say linguistic or racial differences). I guess my point in all this dribble is, as rational thinkers, we shouldn't allow ourselves to become overly influenced by emotive arguments. The religious usually sincerely believe what they purport to believe (with some obvious exceptions); and religious mythology is a product of our intellectual development as a species (I guess I'm trying to say we should look at it forensically rather than politically ... I don't know). I'm shutting up now ... LOL?

(March 13, 2010 at 9:07 pm)Xyster Wrote: But you see there is proof that with out religion you can live in peace... There are still a few tribes cut off from civilization that have NO religion what so ever are completely peacfull they get along with the other couple tribes in their area.

There's plenty of religious countries in the western world who manage to live quite peacefully. At anyrate I'm not necessarily opposed to your approach to this thing (and I don't want to sound preachy, I certainly do not claim any qualification to judge anyone's opinion on this subject), but I'm personaly not willing to take a hostile stand on it, and I guess I do question the necessity of it (I live in NYC, not exactly the bible belt, so I'm not sure what I could direct my anger at - even if I wanted to be a hostile opponent of religion). What is religion anyway? It's a word. Look, I can debunk religion all day long (and believe I've spent enough time trying my hand at it). At this point I like to leave it to guys who are good at it (like Hitchens); and try to strike a balance between intellectual exploration, doing some good in the world, keeping a good level of productivity, and enjoying life the best I can before I become worm food.

Messages In This Thread
RE: converting back unto theism - yes it's true. - by Frank - March 13, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hypocritical Theism Leads to Atheism Ambiguous Atheist 16 4849 November 15, 2016 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Joods
  De-converting from Christianity. sarcasticface 17 6350 March 18, 2013 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Dawud
  Young Adult Seeking Stimulating Theism Debates and Conversation Marshmallow 13 4325 September 28, 2012 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Marshmallow
  Thinking about converting, but what if I do go to Hell??... dave4shmups 47 13679 September 12, 2010 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: dave4shmups