Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
California is thinking about legalizing it
RE: California is thinking about legalizing it
(April 10, 2010 at 1:42 pm)Tiberius Wrote: 1) The current drugs wars are a mess and a statist ploy to gain even more control over the populace. Drugs should be legalised so that the market can make them safer, and so that people can smoke whatever the fuck they want.
Are you kidding? What good, in terms of control, would banning the use of a certain drug do for the state? And given this is going to a proposition on the ballot, this is going to be a populace-defined law. You have to understand that street-level marijuana is a lot more dangerous than what the government studies. The "market" is created by people, not the government. So, if anyone can grow it, we'll have a new economy for the strong drug as opposed to the "over-the-counter" weak drug (if that made any sense).

(April 10, 2010 at 1:42 pm)Tiberius Wrote: 2) It'll most likely have a legal age associated with it, as all these products should. It's not like "children" can't get hold of alcohol and drugs anyway.
That's the wrong way of looking at it. Just because children have access to alcohol doesn't mean we should also give them access to marijuana, or make it easier for them to gain access.

(April 10, 2010 at 1:42 pm)Tiberius Wrote: 3) I'm not sure about the public, but if I were in charge I'd make it illegal for people to smoke in public and in their cars.
Agreed.

(April 10, 2010 at 1:42 pm)Tiberius Wrote: People should be able to do whatever they like in their own homes though.
Agreed.

(April 10, 2010 at 1:42 pm)Tiberius Wrote: What if there are children? Well if a parent wants to smoke or take drugs in front of children, I have no problem with it. As long as they don't neglect the child, I see no reason for the government to get involved.
Second-hand smoke can hurt the child (as it can anyone), and I would consider that child abuse. I'm not entirely certain, but I think California already passed a law banning you from smoking in the car with a kid.

(April 10, 2010 at 1:42 pm)Tiberius Wrote: People smoke cigarettes in front of their children, drink in front of their children, etc. Marijuana is provably less dangerous than both of those habits.
A good friend of mine gave a presentation to a local high school on the dangers of marijuana, and how the government studies are on a much lesser strength scale (given information from a local hospital). Tabacco is much less dangerous than street-level marijuana, and I would probably put alcohol just slightly above marijuana due to strong judgement distortion.

(April 10, 2010 at 1:42 pm)Tiberius Wrote: 4) I'd guess it'd be an over the counter thing like cigarettes, and I don't see why people shouldn't be able to grow it either.
The problem I see with growing your own is that you'll get an underground economy of stronger and much more dangerous marijuana.

(April 10, 2010 at 1:42 pm)Tiberius Wrote: 5) I don't see how changing a law concerning drugs has anything to do with how the border patrol works. Unless the border patrol are all stoned of course, which could be a problem. Then all you'd have to do was tell them they couldn't smoke on the job.
I was referring to California becoming an exporter (illegally) of marijuana if it was legalized. You would have an increase in immigration so that the drug can be trafficked back to another country at a higher cost, specifically Mexico. This is just a thought though, hence "this is a long shot."

Messages In This Thread
RE: California is thinking about legalizing it - by Pippy - April 10, 2010 at 6:58 am
RE: California is thinking about legalizing it - by cppman - April 10, 2010 at 2:40 pm
RE: California is thinking about legalizing it - by Pippy - April 11, 2010 at 12:09 pm
RE: California is thinking about legalizing it - by Pippy - April 12, 2010 at 3:20 am
RE: California is thinking about legalizing it - by Pippy - April 13, 2010 at 3:22 am
RE: California is thinking about legalizing it - by Pippy - April 13, 2010 at 9:06 pm
RE: California is thinking about legalizing it - by Pippy - April 14, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whooping Cough Epidemic in California Eilonnwy 7 2834 June 24, 2010 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Samson