Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex penticostal christian... kind of athiest
RE: Ex penticostal christian... kind of athiest
I was raised a Southern Baptist.  As a young child, I believed the stuff I was told by my parents.  Growing up, I had questions and doubts.  I very gradually, over the course of several years, became an agnostic, not knowing what to believe, and a bit later, a strong atheist.

The transition was painful and difficult, but after a couple of years I settled into atheism quite comfortably.  I have been an atheist now for many years, and am much happier than I ever was as a believer.  I don't worry about displeasing god and going to hell, just like I don't worry about upsetting Santa or the Tooth Fairy.

You have an extra issue that may upset those around you that I never had to deal with.  As you know, many people are bigoted about lesbians, particularly religious people.  (On the plus side, you don't have to worry about birth control, so you have some advantages as well.  Don't forget what is good in your life.)

Anyway, you are quite right that religion does not make sense, for quite a few reasons.  One being that people are often telling you to believe stuff without evidence.  They like to call that "faith" and pretend it is a virtue.  However, when someone judges something prior to the evidence, one is prejudging things, or, in other words, one is prejudiced.  That is not a virtue at all; it is a vice.  Religion perverts morality and all sorts of other things, so, yes, it is senseless in many ways.  But enough of this for now.

Welcome to the site!

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ex penticostal christian... kind of athiest - by Pyrrho - May 7, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No longer an atheist but what am I? A different kind of CREATIONIST.. Whateverist 53 10710 August 1, 2014 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape
  new athiest missing the blissful ignorance of theory of god purduejones 17 4295 December 3, 2013 at 10:13 am
Last Post: LastPoet