Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My experience in the catholic church
RE: My experience in the catholic church
My condolences to everyone who has had to go through all that suffering at the hands of the Catholic Church Sad

I firmly believe teaching any kind of unscientific mythology as actual fact to children is wrong, especially when they are so young as to be defenceless against it and will most likely soak it up without question. If any of this shit was real, then it should make no odds to let people develop first, get a grip on reality and how to reason with things they actually need to know at that point, and then present it to them. Even then, I'd much prefer it if people presented it as belief and not fact. Presenting anyone with a "fact" that you can't even vaguely demonstrate has any truth at all is dishonest and potentially harmful. Especially when they are relying on you to learn about everything.

Are people scared to let their kids get too wise and so might not accept all the fairy stories as told? I understand some parents really think a young child needs to know about religion. I couldn't disagree more. For one thing, the content is utterly unsuitable. So this is either going to be traumatising, or else a false fuzzy happy misrepresentation of the doctrine "for the kids". It's fucked up, either way. And what good is "Jesus' love" to a child learning about the world? And is God already chalking up sins ready for later blackmail at a young age? If not, why tell them about any of it at that point except as a pathetic excuse for parenting and discipline? Sure, there are some facts you need to present to children that you can't fully explain to them yet, for their own good, such as the oven burns you etc. But to say the mythology is in the same category as this is bogus because (a) it has no demonstrable effect on anything and (b) you won't be able to give them a demonstration and explanation of why it is true later. So spare me the torturous false analogies.

I wish society could reach an agreement about not indoctrinating children, but instead educating them. Even if you're talking to your 3 year old, do you have the guts to own your beliefs?

"Mummy believes that Jesus loves you" rather than simply "Jesus loves you."

That's the difference between indoctrination and expressing (quite possibly inappropriate) opinions and beliefs. At least this way, they can ask, "Why do you think that Mummy?"

I guess people don't want to be answering that question, since they generally can't give a sensible answer to a forum full of adults who are well educated on critical thinking and theology.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
My experience in the catholic church - by Longhorn - June 25, 2015 at 12:10 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by abaris - June 25, 2015 at 12:19 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by Longhorn - June 25, 2015 at 12:38 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by Metis - June 25, 2015 at 12:29 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by abaris - June 25, 2015 at 12:34 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by Minimalist - June 25, 2015 at 12:29 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by Aoi Magi - June 25, 2015 at 1:07 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by Metis - June 25, 2015 at 1:17 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by Longhorn - June 25, 2015 at 1:18 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by AFTT47 - June 25, 2015 at 3:05 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by Longhorn - June 25, 2015 at 3:17 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by Regina - June 25, 2015 at 10:40 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by TubbyTubby - June 25, 2015 at 10:58 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by Minimalist - June 25, 2015 at 11:08 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by Regina - June 25, 2015 at 11:37 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by rexbeccarox - June 25, 2015 at 11:49 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by Regina - June 25, 2015 at 11:55 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by rexbeccarox - June 26, 2015 at 12:21 am
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by Longhorn - June 26, 2015 at 12:35 am
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by Regina - June 25, 2015 at 11:59 pm
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by robvalue - June 26, 2015 at 8:10 am
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by Longhorn - June 26, 2015 at 8:18 am
RE: My experience in the catholic church - by robvalue - June 26, 2015 at 8:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Escaping Catholic Totalitarianism Redoubtable 40 15491 January 2, 2017 at 11:02 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Raised Catholic, it didn't stick Videodrome 31 6843 May 18, 2016 at 8:01 am
Last Post: RozKek
  Liberal Catholic turned atheist Pope Markoff Chaney 5 2193 May 17, 2016 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: dom.donald
  From Catholic Opus Dei to Atheism Anka 15 6683 April 1, 2016 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Ex Catholic BetaOrionis 14 4705 June 17, 2014 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: laikashuman
  Catholic and Mormon to Atheist moose 5 2630 July 12, 2013 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: moose
  Roman catholic, Atheist, Satanist. Decsel 12 5007 October 6, 2010 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: The Omnissiunt One