Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AMA) I live in a patriarchy. Ask me anything.
RE: (AMA) I live in a patriarchy. Ask me anything.
mh.brewer Wrote:That's not what this article would indicate: "For many years, Indian families seemed more interested in having boys than girls. This choice of boys has led to many illegal abortions. Doctors were told to end a pregnancy when the fetus showed signs of being female."
Yep. That was a different time though. I'll explain the situation to you, back when we were farmers having a girl was a burden to a family because she would not be able to work out in the fields so they preferred boys who had a much better chance of helping out a family than a girl. Plus, and this will probably shock you, it was mothers that preferred to have boys not the other way around. That was a different time, long, long ago.

mh.brewer Wrote:http://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/ind...24534.html

Almost all of the google searches indicate that, in India, boys are preferred over girls, in all levels of society.
No, you're misunderstanding the situation. India doesn't prefer boys over girls or girls over boys. Families prefer to let their boys be work slaves and keep hold of the girls as their precious diamonds protected from all hardships and negative emotions. Boys have a really rough childhood when compared to girls, little to no emotional support, obvious bias against them even from family members etc. This obviously transitions to adulthood where boys are mentally tougher, has better general knowledge, better social skills etc. There is no bias involved at a societal level but an obvious one at a family level, what you think you see as a bias on the societal level is the after effects of the bias at the family level.

Messages In This Thread
RE: (AMA) I live in a patriarchy. Ask me anything. - by ErGingerbreadMandude - March 6, 2017 at 4:44 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ask me anything account_inactive 41 6166 March 5, 2017 at 11:32 am
Last Post: abaris