Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore
RE: AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore
(March 21, 2018 at 9:40 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: Interestingly, asian people who eat a lot of rice tend to not be fat.

That's probably where they get most of their carbs though, and they probably eat a lot of other very healthy foods, but when I say "a lot", I don't mean a lot. They may take in less calories overall than westeners in general, too. I'm not sure. Perhaps more fish and less red meat.

By "asian" I assume you mean easten cultures in general. Places like China, Taiwan, and Japan.

Although I heard that in more recent years, beef has become a lot more popular in China, as it has spread in from the West. For many years beef in China was not much of a thing though. They ate more pork, which is actually a white meat, unlike what some think, if I am not mistaken.

The TL;DR: If Easterners generally tend to be less fat than Westerners, and if Easterners also tend to eat more rice, then the reason they are less fat is probably entirely unrelated, and has nothing to do with their rice consumption. It's probably what they have with the rice, and not the rice itself Wink

(March 28, 2018 at 12:18 pm)Cathooloo Wrote:
(March 21, 2018 at 8:18 pm)Jenny A Wrote: My personal pyramid looks like this:

Honey, refined Sugars, White Breads, Rice
Pasta, Potatoes, Corn, 
Complex Grains and Beans, Milk
Nuts, 90% Chocolate, Cucumbers, Summer Squashes, Cauliflower,
Meats, Eggs, Cheese, Avocados, Olives
Green Veggies, Onions, Sololances

I feel pretty healthy and energetic.

Mine looks more like this.  I eat a diet that is low in carbohydrates (particularly simple carbs), high in protein and fat.  My ideal mix is 15/45/40 carb/protein/fat.  I also supplement my diet with high protein, low fat/carb, high fiber protein shakes.

Honey, refined Sugars, White Breads, Whole grain breads
Pasta, Potatoes, Corn, Rice 
Nuts, 90% Chocolate, Complex Grains and Beans, Milk
Other meatsCucumbers, Summer Squashes, Cauliflower,
Eggs, Cheese, Avocados, Olives
Whole grain breads, Green Veggies, Onions, Mushrooms, Skinless poultry, fish, shellfish

That's two pyramids already with avocados on it! Both Jenny A and CD! I like it!

Speaking of avocados, my Soundcloud is named Devil's Avocado, my AF Slack status thingy is an avocado, and today I bought 5 avocados. And in case it were not already obvious, I FUCKING LOVE AVOCADOS Big Grin

By the by, I know avocados are healthy, but how healthy are they exactly? Because I sure as hell do love them (but I don't know much about them).

(March 28, 2018 at 4:58 pm)The Industrial Atheist Wrote: I'm .4 lbs heavier than the lowest I've been so far. I've been having some sleep issues and I hope they aren't provoking other issues. IDK how inadequate sleep will affect my weight loss if it continues and I don't want to find out.

I know that oversleeping can cause people to gain weight, but I have no idea how undersleeping affects weight.

(March 28, 2018 at 4:59 pm)c172 Wrote:
(March 28, 2018 at 10:35 am)Jenny A Wrote: Does anyone else do planned cheating?  

Easter is comming and both Mr. A and I will cheat.  Our traditional Easter dinner is Turkish:  feta cheese and parsley barrek, baklava, homemade pita, grape leaves stuffed with rice and lamb, and ride pilaf are all usually no nos.  Will have a little of all those things as well as lamb shishkabob,  yogurt and cucumber salad, olives, and various dips.

Its easier for me to get back on track if my cheating is planned rather than spontaneous.

I'm looking forward to it.  Made the baklava yesterday and mailed most of it to our college girls.

I wouldn't say planned, but maybe "resigned to" cheating. Every Easter, all month, candy ads are IN YOUR (or at least MY) FACE. So I end up just saying "fuck it" and buying a 5 lb. bag of whatever candy looks interesting, or tat I normally like (Mounds, toffee, etc). I just have no self control during this time. 

As well, if I hit the scale and I've dropped, I'll get reckless. Candy, bakery desserts, and pizza are my main vices. But I do have a knack for sniffing out carbs, wherever they might be.

I dunno if this idea could possibly help anyone else but...

I used to not be able to control myself to stop myself buying candy, or alcohol. I'd see it on the shelf in the aisles, the urges would set in, and I buy it.

No matter how much I tried to resist it. Once I'd seen the candy or the alcohol, etc... I'd end up buying it.

And I have since learned that, at least for me, if I don't go down the candy aisles or the alcohol isles, or even if I do if I just walk straight down them and don't look at the shelves, I don't get the impulsive urge to buy candy or alcohol, or whatever else I want to resist buying.

I never go into a shop PLANNING to buy alcohol or candy (well, almost never. On Halloween I'll plan to buy candy and every now and then I'll intentionally want to get drunk in a totally non-impulsive way. Because I'm far from a total teetotaler.).... but there was always loads of times when I went in a shop to do my normal shopping and I saw some beer or some candy or some chocolate or some ice cream or whatever, and then all the desire set in and I bought it. So nowadays I always go in the same shops and avoid certain aisles, or I go down those naughty asiles just to get to another asile, and I don't even look at the shelves. It's like tunnel vision.

This has really helped me. The first bite really is with the eye.

I dunno if it will help anyone else though. But it really stopped me impulsively buying unhealthy crap, and really allowed me to go in a shop and buy exactly what I intended to. So what it's worth, there's what has really helped me: Plan what you want to buy, go to a shop you know, where those items will be, and go straight for those items; don't look at anything else. Think of a bunch of ants going through their tunnels to grab exactly what they want without getting distracted because they're on Queen's orders.

Messages In This Thread
RE: AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore - by Edwardo Piet - March 28, 2018 at 6:19 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Love Your Body Challenge Shell B 39 3154 September 24, 2019 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  NFL may be headed to player negotiation. Brian37 9 1012 August 15, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-April 1 to May 1 Shell B 232 22798 September 25, 2017 at 11:54 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheist Forums' Biggest Loser Shell B 64 5483 March 31, 2017 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Anyone here participate in Sports/Fitness? Lifelongnontheist 24 2614 February 1, 2017 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: yasalam
  Bracket Challenge? SteelCurtain 21 3812 April 5, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Sad I got fat Something completely different 27 6571 July 9, 2013 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox