Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore
RE: AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore
(July 26, 2018 at 8:50 am)emjay Wrote:
(July 26, 2018 at 7:51 am)The Industrial Atheist Wrote: For someone new you probably want to focus on movements that use more than one joint, These build the most size the most efficiently. Also my personal advice would be minimal amount of sets, and lots of rest between workouts. Also high intensity. Move the weight until you can't get another rep, no matter how much it burns.

Also, if you have some sort of issue where you it's difficult to train your lower body, there are probably ways around that. I have degenerative disc disease and I do dumbbell squats instead of barbell squats for my thighs. Balanced physiques are a good thing and lower body strength helps you out in life more than you'd think.

Thanks for the advice but basically I think I've got myself too unfit to be comfortable doing high intensity workouts yet... because I'm worried about having a heart attack... believe me I can't even run/jog 100 yards without feeling like that. So the way I figured it was I'd aim for cardio workouts until my heart was in fairly good condition before I started looking at anything else. So with the upper body I was basically looking for something gentle but repetitive... that would work more on cardio than muscles... but hopefully muscles/tone and weight as well as a byproduct... whatever the upper body equivalent of exercise biking would be. For instance if I had space for it... which I don't... I'd love a rowing machine cos I'd figure that as similar sort of exercise for the upper body as an exercise bike is for the lower. Another option would be lots of reps of dumbbell exercises using the lightest weight etc... just until I feel some sort of confidence in my heart/lungs to be able to handle this... after all this smoking. For instance at last check I couldn't hold my breath under water for as long as I used to, swim as long as I used to or even blow up a balloon like I used to. So all those effects of smoking have snuck up on me and I figure could take quite a while to undo/recover from. So with the exercise bike I'm just going relatively gentle for the moment; 5 mins warming up at 45rpm, 10 mins at 60rpm, then 5 mins warming down at 45rpm, then stretches. When I did it in the past and was much fitter, I went way above 60rpm, including bursts of high intensity speed (since the bike has some cool games/scoring/features to make that interesting and motivating), and for much longer at the same resistance (6th of 8 settings)... but as it stands, 60 or thereabouts seems safest heartwise... gets me a bit out of breath and sweating profusely (but where it's a heat wave at the moment so not necessarily as much indicative of the intensity of the workout) but not so much that I feel I'm at risk of a heart attack.

As for the movement restrictions, that basically comes from a) RSI... which is generally triggered by a combination of bad posture and certain types of tension. I don't have RSI at the moment but I have a history of it and predisposition to it... so certain types of exercises/activities trigger it... like isometric exercises... and I found even situps started to because of the tension involved in keeping the legs down. So after that became a problem I just felt that my repertoire of available exercises started to diminish, until I eventually just gave up on exercise altogether... which is not the best advice for RSI... but is what ended up happening. The other thing, b), was a groin injury/condition caused in part (probably) by smoking, so that made physical locomotion difficult for a long while, and basically ruled out biking... so this use of the exercise bike is actually my first tentative steps back on a bike after that - so far so good, but it's a careful process and certain postures on the bike I still can't really do.

So basically a lot to undo/recover from here, but I am still hopeful that gradually I can improve, even if only in baby steps, and it won't be a waste since I'm no longer smoking.

But thanks for the advice... I'll bear it in mind for when I do feel confident in my heart Smile
You're very welcome! Keep up the good work and good luck in your efforts.Smile The only upper body thing I can think of is rowing, but that's not gentle. There's an exercise that 's like swimming you can do on a weider ultimate bodyworks. I can't find a video. Maybe if you set it on a low enough incline it could be gentle and a cardio exercise.

Messages In This Thread
RE: AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore - by The Industrial Atheist - July 26, 2018 at 11:49 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Love Your Body Challenge Shell B 39 3183 September 24, 2019 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  NFL may be headed to player negotiation. Brian37 9 1020 August 15, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-April 1 to May 1 Shell B 232 23210 September 25, 2017 at 11:54 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheist Forums' Biggest Loser Shell B 64 5571 March 31, 2017 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Anyone here participate in Sports/Fitness? Lifelongnontheist 24 2617 February 1, 2017 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: yasalam
  Bracket Challenge? SteelCurtain 21 3815 April 5, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Sad I got fat Something completely different 27 6576 July 9, 2013 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox