Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore
RE: AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore
(August 5, 2018 at 10:28 am)Whateverist Wrote:
(August 5, 2018 at 10:07 am)Aroura Wrote: I have put on about 10 lbs total in the last 5 years.  I cannot seem to get rid of it, and since hitting my 40's I feel hungrier than I ever have before.  Not really effin fair.

At any rate, I've hit on something that helps me avoid high calorie sweets.  Dark chocolate.  Like, actually dark.  When I'm just fidgeting and desperate for something, like near tears desperate, one small square can really make me feel better, and I don't have the urge to eat the whole bar either.  It doesn't trigger the sweet cascade that sugar free candies do.

I've almost entirely cut out bread.  This is my only big nutrition change. for instance, no pizza.  When my family orders pizza, I get a salad with vinaigrette dressing. Completely natural yogurt with fresh fruit in the morning, cheese and veggies for lunch, veggies and maybe a small helping of whole grain pasta or potatoes for dinner. I drink one HALF cup of OJ in the morning, and water the rest of the day. If I'm desperate for a snack I go to pickles or fresh tomatoes. Few snacks. But you know what, this isn't a diet for me, this is the way I normally eat (except I used to eat a bit more bread/pasta).  But really, I always ate small portions, and I've never been a big sweet eater. I also exercise more now than ever, because we have no car so I have to walk 1 to 5 miles per day, and I carry all groceries home on my back.

And I'm still gaining weight instead of losing it.  I literally don't know what to do, because I refuse to "diet", as I know that simply does not work.  What other lifestyle changes can I make?  Suggestions?

p.s. Eff you middle age.

One thing I've discovered is I need to work out beyond just walking.  I need something aerobic.  I need to work with weights.  And I need to do something for flexibility.  So I go to the Y at least three times a week and usually more often.  I find I can break a sweat on the reclined stationary bike without bothering my knee, I use their weight machines and I attend a Pilates class twice a week.  For the longest time I thought taking long walks with the dogs and staying active in the garden was going to do it.    But this is better.

But if you actually want to lose weight the sacrifice in calorie intake you have to make as a woman is just plain unfair.  It sounds like you're already eating very healthily both in terms of choices and quantity.  Maybe others will have be able to advise better.
I think this may be a part of my problem. Back in the states I did yoga (A nie active version btw) for an hour twice a week.  I felt great.  We had a YMCA membership, and I also did the stationary bike or treadmill a couple of times a week while my kid did their kids group activities.  I have a yoga mat and try and do it at home, but it's not the same without my awesome teacher.

Where I am now, I am not comfortable joining any sort of external exercise club.  I could jog in the park, I suppose, but my access to exercise outside my home is very limited.

Good for you for going to the Y though, that place is fantastic!  When I get back to the states, I'm joining again 100% for sure.  I miss the pool, the tabletennis, the racquetball court, all of it.  Such a fun place to get healthy!

Maybe some basic pilates at home would help. I should find a good online group to follow along with. Thanks Whatevs, for the ideas!
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Messages In This Thread
RE: AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore - by Aroura - August 5, 2018 at 10:58 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Love Your Body Challenge Shell B 39 3089 September 24, 2019 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  NFL may be headed to player negotiation. Brian37 9 1001 August 15, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-April 1 to May 1 Shell B 232 22398 September 25, 2017 at 11:54 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheist Forums' Biggest Loser Shell B 64 5252 March 31, 2017 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Anyone here participate in Sports/Fitness? Lifelongnontheist 24 2523 February 1, 2017 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: yasalam
  Bracket Challenge? SteelCurtain 21 3784 April 5, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Sad I got fat Something completely different 27 6522 July 9, 2013 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox