Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore
RE: AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore
A more detailed report...

We made the drive up to Seattle Monday night, stayed at my sister's house in N Seattle, and arrived early at the hospital. The usual pre-op stuff followed, washing, gowning, signing forms, and meeting the surgical team.

The surgery took about an hour, followed by an hour and a half in recovery. I woke pretty easy and comfortably unlike some other times I've been under general anaesthesia.

The procedure essentially involved stapling my stomach and forming a small stomach "pouch" about the size of a ping pong ball. The excess stomach tissue is then removed.

First day, the surgical pain was very bearable. I knew to expect it, but the worst of it was gas pain - during the surgery they pump CO2 into your abdomen to make room to work. The gas tends to work it's way up to the upper body cavity and it takes awhile to work it's way out. It is at times very painful. All hail King Diuladid and Prince Oxy!

Sipping water can be very painful if I sip a tiny bit too much. IOW, there's a very fine line between just right and oh-my-fucking-god that hurts. I'm told that will improve and I'll get better at recognizing "full" signals.

I don't think I've mentioned that it's nearly impossible to burp so it's not like one can relieve pressure that way. That should also improve.

This morning, the gas pain is significantly reduced and the major source of the pain is the insult done to my guts. Surprisingly, the incisions are only a little sensitive. There are 5 of them, 4 small ones for instruments and one 1-1.5" incision they removed the excess stomach through.

I'm hungry, very hungry, but have no desire to eat, even if I could. I last had food on Sunday. I'll next have food in a couple of weeks. Probably.

Yesterday's lunch was clear liquid - I ordered sugar free "juice drink", black coffee, unsweetened herbal tea, two varieties of broth. I had no intention of drinking all but I may as well start figuring out what I can tolerate. The evening meal was more of the same.

Today I get to add salt, artificial sweetener, half and half, low lactose skim milk, soy milk, and protein supplement shakes.

Tomorrow I should be able to eat strained soup, Jello, blended yogurt, etc. Nothing with sugar or even small chunks - in very tiny sips / bites and very small portions. That will be for at least two weeks.

I expect them to discharge me today, and my lovely wife will drive me home.

Messages In This Thread
RE: AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore - by Jackalope - January 9, 2019 at 8:09 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Love Your Body Challenge Shell B 39 3090 September 24, 2019 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  NFL may be headed to player negotiation. Brian37 9 1001 August 15, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-April 1 to May 1 Shell B 232 22398 September 25, 2017 at 11:54 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheist Forums' Biggest Loser Shell B 64 5252 March 31, 2017 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Anyone here participate in Sports/Fitness? Lifelongnontheist 24 2523 February 1, 2017 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: yasalam
  Bracket Challenge? SteelCurtain 21 3784 April 5, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Sad I got fat Something completely different 27 6522 July 9, 2013 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox