Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult
RE: Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult
Hoffman, who unlike Holding is an actual scholar and not just a fucking xtian money-grubber, actually went through all of Contra Celsum and extracted the words of Celsus which Origen sought to refute and consolidated them into a facsimile of what On The True Doctrine must have looked like originally.  Quite a tremendous work of scholarship but of course not something that the assholes could tolerate since it does not give their godboy proper due.

I have the book somewhere around the house.  I read it some years ago.  Fantastic stuff.  Unlike Origen, Celsus was not a pious stick-in-the-mud.

BTW, another superb quote of Celsus':

Quote:"You are fond of saying that in the old days this same most high god made these and greater promises to those who gave heed to his commandments and worshiped him. But at the risk of appearing unkind, I ask how much good has been done by those promises have done either the Jews before you or you in your present circumstances. And would you have us put out faith in such a god? Instead of being masters of the whole world, the jews today have no home of any kind."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult - by Minimalist - October 19, 2017 at 11:10 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  9/11 a "day of destiny" for Germany in the 20th century Deesse23 0 309 November 9, 2018 at 4:57 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  What was the first thread or the first member on Atheistforums.org? Omnicidal 15 2719 January 9, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The First Century Void Minimalist 232 61690 September 9, 2017 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The Millennium/21st Century Newtonscat 7 3363 January 20, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Newtonscat