Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult
RE: Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult
(October 19, 2017 at 11:04 pm)Minimalist Wrote: And who is going to decide?  You?  You are a scholar of ancient Greco-Roman Literature, I suppose?

No... but I can read... and I like to check things out.
I just want to go back to the source, to see if it is accurate.  As well, to see the context, and what origin said in response.

In the end, this is just one man's opinion so I don't see it as a big deal.  Especially when there are others who contradict him about the early Church (including those outside of Christianity).

Besides, if all he did, was pull the words of Celsus out (remove the words of Origen), then I dont' think I need to be a scholar to evaluate if that is accurate.

Unlike some, I don't dismiss things, just because of who wrote it.  But I do want to know what they based it on.  And especially with Carrier and Jehovah Witnesses, I have learned that you should always go back and check the original source.

(October 19, 2017 at 11:37 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Wouldn't this line, from the first post in thread...respond to the above?

Quote:To say Christianity was a mystery religion is not to say that Christianity is exactly like any other mystery religion, any more than any mystery religion was 'exactly like' any other.

I read the rest of that link.....and I found exactly what I expected.  A man calling the gospels eyewitness accounts and insisting that we had some empty tomb as evidence....lemme guess, Habermas is an apologist?

Does that matter?
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult - by RoadRunner79 - October 19, 2017 at 11:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  9/11 a "day of destiny" for Germany in the 20th century Deesse23 0 316 November 9, 2018 at 4:57 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  What was the first thread or the first member on Atheistforums.org? Omnicidal 15 2752 January 9, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The First Century Void Minimalist 232 62210 September 9, 2017 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The Millennium/21st Century Newtonscat 7 3378 January 20, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Newtonscat