Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 3:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult
RE: Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult
(October 24, 2017 at 3:54 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(October 24, 2017 at 3:31 pm)JackRussell Wrote: Mithraism, archaeologically present in Cesearea c. 6 BCE.

Ok... it seems that the consensus is that Mithraism didn't become poplular until about the mid 1st century.    Is this discovery changing that?   Is it now thought to be more extensive earlier?
If I am remembering correctly it is thought to be some speculation of differences between the Mithra found much earlier in Egypt (and of which we know little about, since there isn't written records), and the later Greek mystery religionm which became popular.

Well ideas baby,

strange birth,
redemption and renewal,
death and resurrection.

An idea prevalent around the same time of Messianism.

Accepted by the the Romans,

Prevalent around the Roman world, from my country to Palestine.

Only really died out post Constantine.

Athronges

Simon Bar Kokhbah

etc:

Great stories, of which yours is one further un-evidenced one, except you really believe it and I am really not sure.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult - by JackRussell - October 24, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  9/11 a "day of destiny" for Germany in the 20th century Deesse23 0 309 November 9, 2018 at 4:57 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  What was the first thread or the first member on Atheistforums.org? Omnicidal 15 2723 January 9, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The First Century Void Minimalist 232 61705 September 9, 2017 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The Millennium/21st Century Newtonscat 7 3363 January 20, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Newtonscat