Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult
RE: Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult
(October 28, 2017 at 4:46 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: There are 26 references in the NKJV to Christianity as a mystery religion in the New Testament.  

https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch...ultspp=250

I don't think that a search for the word mystery is a good way to make this determination.  You can look at "On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life" and find the word "mystery" used a number of times.

I was looking at the origin of Mithraism in Rome the other day.  It seems that it's main strength as a movement came in the 2nd and 3rd centuries.  Most think it somehow came from the Persian version of Mithra, but are not sure how or exactly when; if it is a version of the Persian religion or a Roman religion, with Persian accents.  

Quote:Mithraism is known almost entirely from physical artifacts and dedicatory inscriptions. In total, over 400 archaeological find-spots related to Mithraism have been uncovered, along with about 1,000 dedicatory inscriptions and 1,150 pieces of sculpture.
There are very few contemporary written sources, and most of those that survive are outsider perspectives. References to Mithraism can be found in the following texts:
  • Plutarch, Life of Pompey 24
  • Porphyry, On the Cave of the Nymphs 6, 15-16, 17-18, 24-25
  • Porphyry, On Abstinence from Animal Foods 4.16
  • Tertullian (c.200), On the Soldier's Crown 15
  • Origen (240s), Against Celsus 6.22
The lack of good written sources on Mithraism is largely due to its status as a mystery religion, in which the meaning of its iconography and rituals was a secret known only to initiates. Insiders did not record details of their religion and outsiders did not know much about it. This obviously makes things difficult for historians, so there is much about Mithraism that is still not known.
http://www.religionfacts.com/mithraism

So, in my view, the description of the mystery religions, is quite a bit different, from your googling the word "mystery" in the Bible (or in Darwin).

However, whether Christianity is accurately described by the term "mystery religion" has nothing to do with the claim that it was inspired by them.  For that they would need to make some sort of connection other than the vague unfalsifiable crap being put forth as history so far.  

It is one of those things, that may sound good on the surface but has little to support it.  Hence most respected historians do not ascribe to it, and it is held by internet amateurs and very few fringe scholars.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult - by RoadRunner79 - October 29, 2017 at 11:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  9/11 a "day of destiny" for Germany in the 20th century Deesse23 0 312 November 9, 2018 at 4:57 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  What was the first thread or the first member on Atheistforums.org? Omnicidal 15 2732 January 9, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The First Century Void Minimalist 232 62038 September 9, 2017 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The Millennium/21st Century Newtonscat 7 3371 January 20, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Newtonscat