Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult
RE: Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult
Yeah, that's the ticket......

It's not "whether" christianity can be accurately described as a mystery religion, it -is- accurately described as such.  Proceeding from there, the notion that all of the other mystery religions were significantly influenced by this common cultural theme to produce the category under which they all fall..but that one particular mystery religion wasn't..and just happened to become a textbook example..is too ludicrous to entertain in any attempt to understand the religion in a historical context...regardless of whether or not you find it untenable to consider just because you (and any number of quacks) believe in fairies.

That, in a nutshell, is the difference between anthropology and apologism.

As to the constant reference to "respected historians" not agreeing, let's run with that..explore it a little. If by "respected historians" you mean people who feel that there may have been some person around which hellenic syncretism coalesced with med judaism to form an earlier but not at all recognizable form of christian belief..then yeah, sure. Notice the fairies are still absent, and the historicity of the gospels is in no way advanced. They're positing that some advocate, in that case, helped to create a recognizable mystery religion...which had significant deviance from previous forms of the same and would one day..with further syncretism and political intrigue inc in europe..to what we recognize as christianity today.

But, ofc, that's not who you mean by "respected historians"...you mean quacks who believe in fairies, who believe that the gospels are an AP report from the front. You mean "apologists".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult - by The Grand Nudger - October 29, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  9/11 a "day of destiny" for Germany in the 20th century Deesse23 0 309 November 9, 2018 at 4:57 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  What was the first thread or the first member on Atheistforums.org? Omnicidal 15 2716 January 9, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The First Century Void Minimalist 232 61668 September 9, 2017 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The Millennium/21st Century Newtonscat 7 3362 January 20, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Newtonscat