Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult
RE: Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult
(October 30, 2017 at 1:24 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Nice try but Justin Martyr shows that the early xtians were worried about this 1800 years before you came along trying to make excuses.  And shortly after him came Tertullian:

Quote:"The devil, whose business is to pervert the truth, mimics the exact circumstances of the Divine Sacraments. He baptises his believers and promises forgiveness of sins from the Sacred Fount, and thereby initiates them into the religion of Mithras. Thus he celebrates the oblation of bread and brings in the symbol of the resurrection. Let us, therefore, acknowledge the craftiness of the devil who copies certain things of those that be Divine".

De Praescriptione Haereticorum

Face it, RR.  All you have is the same old shit in a slightly newer package.  It was common belief in the Greco-Roman world.

I have no doubt that 1800 years ago, that this as the case. (the heyday of the mystery religions was from the 2nd to the 4th century)   Why don't you quote from 2000 years ago?

And I'm not saying, that you may not find some similarities.  I just don't think that the conclusion follows (as I understand the case you are attempting to make).   But then again, you wouldn't give your evidence and reasons to support it.  We would need to examine specifics to see if your case has the merit you think.

You might also note, that baptism could more easily be explained in light of Jewish tradition from which Christianity obviously emerged.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jesusism - Just Another First Century Mystery Cult - by RoadRunner79 - October 30, 2017 at 5:51 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  9/11 a "day of destiny" for Germany in the 20th century Deesse23 0 313 November 9, 2018 at 4:57 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  What was the first thread or the first member on Atheistforums.org? Omnicidal 15 2736 January 9, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The First Century Void Minimalist 232 62077 September 9, 2017 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The Millennium/21st Century Newtonscat 7 3371 January 20, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Newtonscat