Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence.
RE: Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence.
My thoughts on this are rather complicated and I don't have time to lay it all out, but I legitimately believe that we, as humans, have an obligation to treat other humans with sincere kindness and respect. Since I don't believe in much beyond the physical world, and that this is the only life any of us lead, it's incredibly important to me for as many people as possible to have the best life possible. I believe we are all interconnected in SO many ways, one of many being the butterfly effect of our interactions with one another. How one is treated and respected is usually how they treat and respect others around them. Creating a positive vibe not only makes you more desirable as a friend and prospective partner but makes everybody's day brighter. It can be difficult to always be that person and nobody expects you to be, but I've found that in trying to be that person I've ceased trying and just... became that person. I have no interest in debating whether I practice this because it brings pleasure to others or because it brings pleasure to myself to bring pleasure to others because I really don't think that matters. Positivity has been spread, the deed is done.

When it comes to treatment of life outside of our human community, I absolutely do believe in the humane treatment of animals but I don't do anything to really support that. I eat meat regularly and I own no pets. But I like petting dogs. Such good boys yes they are.

This broad philosophy is also what I consider to be the driving force behind my left-wing political views. Universal healthcare being the most important issue to me by FAR. I also think we have a moral duty to donate our bodies after we die, because the impact it can have on one or several lives is amazing; your belief about what happens after we die is just that, a belief. The reality, however, is that the organs inside of you can save people's lives. So I very passionately believe that is what one has an obligation to do.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence. - by Aegon - March 19, 2018 at 11:55 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Morality Kingpin 101 5697 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6289 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8860 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Morality Agnostico 337 36665 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Does religion expose the shortcomings of empathy based moral systems henryp 19 2423 December 2, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 160257 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished
Video The Married Atheist vid: Morality from science? robvalue 5 2024 March 19, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Does religion corrupt morality? Whateverist 95 25242 September 7, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Morality is like a religion Detective L Ryuzaki 29 7703 August 30, 2015 at 11:45 am
Last Post: strawdawg
  thoughts on morality Kingpin 16 5970 July 29, 2015 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Pyrrho