Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.
(April 23, 2018 at 8:15 am)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Did you ignore the second part of my post, because I did answer your question, and explained why I did not like the word improbable?

You're in no place to speak of me "ignoring" you when you've ignored many of my direct questions.

And as to your point: I don't care if you don't like the word or not. Either you consider something improbable or you don't.

Most of my family is atheist but they don't like the word "atheist" so they don't call themselves atheists. I don't care. They're still atheists because they literally say they don't believe in any kind of God. That's what atheism means.

In the same way, if you consider something improbable I don't care if you don't like the word 'improbable'.

Like I said, you're in no place to talk of me ignoring you when you repeatedly ignore my direct questions.

Quote:  I think that you may be seeking to put words in my mouth, and then trying to beat up that straw man (and complaining when I don't go along with that).

Actually, that's your fault. I have to make assumptions about your view that I consider to be reasonable when you repeatedly refuse to characterize your view and answer questions about it.

Okay, I'll stop trying to guess what your view is. But either tell me what it is and answer my questions, or stop spouting nonsense whilst expecting a double-standard.

1) How do you define God? How improbable I consider God to be, depends on which God we are talking about.
2) Do you consider fire-breathing dragons improbable or not? Yes or no. It's a true dichotomy that you keep ignoring.

You claim that you wouldn't say that they were improbable. But I hope you realize that means you consider them probable.
Quote: Also, even if you are successful in trying to turn things back on me, and find some sort of hypocrisy, it doesn't make your argument.

It's not up to me to define God. I don't have to turn things on you, they've been on you all along.

It seems clear to me that:

1) You have an imperfect understanding of the argument from ignorance.
2) This is partly due to your inability to appreciate that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence and your inability to appreciate the principle of parsimony.

Quote: It wouldn't make your reasoning correct (although it may confront me with a choice).

Look, you talk of strawmen... but you are strawmanning me whilst you continue to assume I'm denying all gods equally. How improbable a particular god is depends on the god.

But all unparsimonious gods are improbable by virtue of being unparsimonious. Some are simply more unparsimonious and improbable than others.

The reason why, in truth, you don't consider fire-breathing dragons to be probable, is because of the principle of parsimony. It's because their existence would be unparsimonious and it is irrational and illogical to believe in more entities than necessary without any actual evidence.

You may not see it that way, but that is intutively why you consider them improbable (you say you don't but you do. Either that or you actually believe in fire-breathing dragons... which I highly doubt).... the question becomes "Why the hell would there be any fire-breathing dragons? It's simpler to assume they probably don't exist").

Absence of evidence isn't always not absence of evidence. Sometimes it is. That is not the point of the argument from ignorance. The point of the argument from ignorance is that absence of evidence of X is not positive evidence that X doesn't exist... and just because you can't prove God doesn't exist doesn't mean God doesn't exist.

None of that applies to me. God is improbable for exactly the same reason that dragons or unicorns are.

Or any of the mythological gods, or any other supernatural deities are.

Like I said, you have exactly the same position as me on all other gods. I simply go one god further.

Quote:  It doesn't change that if you are making a claim about the objective world, that you have a burden of proof towards that claim.

Extraordinary claims do require extraordinary evidence to be rational. But the reason why "claim" is not helpful here is because extraordinary beliefs require extaordinary evidence to be rational too. It doesn't matter if anyone openly claims an irrational belief or not... it doesn't change the fact that it's an irrational belief.

You have many rational beliefs about the non-existence of absurd and improbable entities, you are simply not expressing them. That is what I mean by you being disingenuous. You know you don't believe in unicorns or dragons or mythological gods. You know you don't consider them probable. You know they're improbable. You know there's good reasons to believe they aren't probable. You're just pretending otherwise. I'm just being more open and honest about what I consider to be improbable, that is all.

Just because I haven't went into detail to why I don't think they're improbable doesn't mean I don't have very good reasons to believe they're improbable.

It's your job to tell me what "God" we're talking about. You're the one who believes in something incoherent.

Let's make it easy for you: The God you believe in I most likely consider impossible. Does that help?

But maybe not, maybe it's just improbable. Define it. If it still doesn't seem impossible, I'll ask further questions about your God to see if it has any features I consider to be logically contradictory or incoherent. Deal?

Quote: Further arguing that it is true (or more probable) until it is proven to be false, is the argument from ignorance

No. Arguing that it is true or probable until proven to be false without any good reason to believe that it is indeed true or more probable, is the argument from ignorance. If I actually have good reason to believe something is true or probable, then it's perfectly rational to believe it's true or probable. Obviously.

If all I was doing is assuming position X and saying "Not X is wrong until further notice" then that would be the argument from ignorance, yes. But If I have good reason to believe X is right, and not X is wrong (which I do) then there's no fallacy here.

Which God are we talking about?

Quote: Also the more you speak on the matter, the more I am thinking that by improbable, you are just talking about your own personal incredulity.

No. You haven't asked me once why I consider God to be improbable. And you haven't once told me which God we're talking about here. You have a specific God in mind, I don't. When I say God is improbable you react by assuming I mean your God. And I probably do. I probably do consider your God to be improbable. But I could be wrong. I could consider them impossible. But how can I explain why I think your God is improbable or impossible until you tell me?

I could be wrong. My past experience just tells me that theists usually believe in something either highly improbable, or in many cases, completely impossible.

Quote:  What is it, that you mean by "improbable"?

Not probable. We know what probability means. It means likelihood to exist.

By saying that you don't consider fire-breathing dragons improbable, I hope you realize that means you believe they probably exist.

Try saying things that make sense! "I don't like the word" doesn't cut it.

Messages In This Thread
Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Jehanne - March 14, 2018 at 12:01 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Joods - April 21, 2018 at 10:51 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Edwardo Piet - April 23, 2018 at 8:38 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Amarok - March 14, 2018 at 12:04 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by shadow - March 14, 2018 at 12:55 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by brewer - March 14, 2018 at 10:05 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by veoli - March 14, 2018 at 2:52 pm
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Joods - March 14, 2018 at 3:57 pm
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by AFTT47 - March 17, 2018 at 10:32 pm
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Aegon - April 19, 2018 at 11:51 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by John V - April 24, 2018 at 11:46 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last French Survivor of D-Day Leon Gautier dies at the age of 100 (Monday July 3rd) Leonardo17 0 357 July 8, 2023 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Carter Cool AGE..... Brian37 5 441 October 7, 2020 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Sal
  This has to be the most chilling thing he has done. Brian37 29 1660 September 8, 2020 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Old age stories in the news..... Brian37 10 1061 December 29, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stephen Colbert Rips Jeff Sessions a New Asshole Minimalist 78 7019 June 18, 2018 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Walmart raises minimum age requirement for buying Guns and Ammo Sterben 15 1720 March 2, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stephen Fry reveals prostate cancer diagnosis Antares 7 760 February 23, 2018 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Stephen Colbert - The WLB Sings The Anthem Minimalist 3 508 January 10, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Charles Jenkins has died Sterben 0 439 December 13, 2017 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  This Douchebag Should Have Died. Minimalist 0 461 October 4, 2017 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist