Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.
(April 26, 2018 at 3:33 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: So what?   Does that mean that they are unjustly biased?  It seems to me, that we are both biased, but what matters, is if we are unjustly so.   Would you agree?

For as often, as I hear that Christians are just in an echo chamber (as ironic as that is; to say to Christians who come here).  I don't find that Christians are the ones who dismiss things, because of their source!

I thought I would look at this, so I picked a link at random, I choose this one.

http://coldcasechristianity.com/2018/a-b...oboration/

Here we have someone who claims to be some kind of cold case investigator and I went to the first example of his ‘proof’ here is the passage .

*Related to Belshazzar
The existence of Belshazzar, king of Babylon, was once doubted by critics. Belshazzar is named in Daniel 5, but according to the non-Biblical historic record, the last king of Babylon was Nabonidus. Tablets have been discovered, however, describing Belshazzar as Nabonidus’ son and documenting his service as coregent in Babylon. If this is the case, Belshazzar would have been able to appoint Daniel “third highest ruler in the kingdom” for reading the handwriting on the wall (as recorded in Daniel 5:16). This would have been the highest available position for Daniel. Here, once again, we see the historicity of the Biblical record has been confirmed by archaeology.

From link above and italics mine*

Lets break it down a little…

The existence of Belshazzar, king of Babylon, was once doubted by critics. Belshazzar is named in Daniel 5, but according to the non-Biblical historic record, the last king of Babylon was Nabonidus. Tablets have been discovered, however, describing Belshazzar as Nabonidus’ son and documenting his service as coregent in Babylon.

He completely ignores that the bible says that he was the son of Nebuchadrezzar.
He (Belshazzar), was never actually King as listed in Daniel.
Nabonidus  is not mentioned in the bible.

He then goes on to say..

Here, once again, we see the historicity of the Biblical record has been confirmed by archaeology.

How?  no it hasn’t we see the usual theist practice of simply declaring something as true

That took me longer to cut and paste than to find clear flaws in. and was the very first one I read.

This is decent read of Daniel..

https://www.britannica.com/topic/biblica...#ref597863

For many centuries the apocalyptic character of the Book of Daniel was overlooked, and it was generally considered to be true history, containing genuine prophecy. In fact, the book was included among the prophetic books in the Greek canon. It is now recognized, however, that the writer’s knowledge of the exilic times was sketchy and inaccurate. His date for the fall of Jerusalem, for example, is wrong; Belshazzar is represented as the son of Nebuchadrezzar and the last king of Babylon, whereas he was actually the son of Nabonidus and, though a powerful figure, was never king……..

This is the kind of thing we are up against when we look at 'biblical proofs' That wouldn't be so bad, inaccuracies, and getting it just wrong is explainable in archaeology, but when we are also faced with the claim that a mighty god (who cannot get things wrong)  inspired and protected these accounts, it's then we have a problem.

Sure the bible gets some things right(ish) but that's exactly what we would expect of uninspired human writers writing about their own history or times.
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'

Messages In This Thread
Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Jehanne - March 14, 2018 at 12:01 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Joods - April 21, 2018 at 10:51 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Amarok - March 14, 2018 at 12:04 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by shadow - March 14, 2018 at 12:55 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by brewer - March 14, 2018 at 10:05 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by veoli - March 14, 2018 at 2:52 pm
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Joods - March 14, 2018 at 3:57 pm
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by AFTT47 - March 17, 2018 at 10:32 pm
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Aegon - April 19, 2018 at 11:51 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by John V - April 24, 2018 at 11:46 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by possibletarian - April 26, 2018 at 6:58 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last French Survivor of D-Day Leon Gautier dies at the age of 100 (Monday July 3rd) Leonardo17 0 358 July 8, 2023 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Carter Cool AGE..... Brian37 5 445 October 7, 2020 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Sal
  This has to be the most chilling thing he has done. Brian37 29 1662 September 8, 2020 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Old age stories in the news..... Brian37 10 1068 December 29, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stephen Colbert Rips Jeff Sessions a New Asshole Minimalist 78 7022 June 18, 2018 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Walmart raises minimum age requirement for buying Guns and Ammo Sterben 15 1725 March 2, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stephen Fry reveals prostate cancer diagnosis Antares 7 766 February 23, 2018 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Stephen Colbert - The WLB Sings The Anthem Minimalist 3 510 January 10, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Charles Jenkins has died Sterben 0 440 December 13, 2017 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  This Douchebag Should Have Died. Minimalist 0 462 October 4, 2017 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist