Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.
(April 26, 2018 at 6:58 pm)possibletarian Wrote:

If it is true, that it took you longer to cut and paste that, then to spot the error, then I am going to assume that you are far more familiar with the intricacies of this part of history than I.  I'll admit that I haven't spent a great deal of time studying this area (to be able to spot an error so quickly) but I am interested and like to get all the information.   Such discussions are good, because they incentivize me to dig deeper into things.

To get technical, Belshazzar was the descendant of Nebuchadrezzar  .  One of the things, that I have learned in my studies of the Bible, is that the Hebrew language has a much smaller vocabulary than Greek or English.  Therefore one word my have a range of meanings, that may not match in a language with a broader vocabulary.  I have had this explained before in unrelated matters, and when I looked up the Hebrew word {ab}, in my software it does give a definition of father, as well as predecessor or forefather. 

As to Belshazzar being King;  this is not quite as cut and dry as you might like either.  Belshazzar's father (Nabonidus) was technically King.  And it appears that he was a very absent King, as his father preferred to travel and study old buildings, leaving Belshazzar to rule.

Quote:According to the Book of Daniel Belshazzar was called the “King” of Babylon. This claim hase been assailed by anti-Daniel critics (not Farrel Till) who point out the fact that Nabonidus was still king of Babylon officially as long as he was still alive. –Archaeological Experts point point out that Belshazzar “stood in as temporary ruler” in his father’s absence. One could say he was a stand in king. They also point out:

Further vindication of Daniel’s calling Belshazzar the king of Babylon is found in ancient text of  (which is pro-Cyrus propaganda). In talking about Nabonidus it says:
Quote:After he had obtained what he desired, a work of utter deceit, had built this abomination, a work of unholiness -when the third year was about to begin- he entrusted the army [?] to his oldest son, his first born, the troops in the country he ordered under his command. He let everything go, entrusted the kingship to him, and, himself, he started out for a long journey. The military forces of Akkad marching with him, he turned to Temâ deep in the west.

For a fuller explanation for both of these see https://explanationblog.wordpress.com/20...hadnezzar/

Here is the authors conclusion
Quote:The conclusion of this post is that there is no historical problem about Belshazzar in the book of Daniel. Perhaps a blood-relationship will indeed be proved in the future or perhaps the meanings of the terms father and son as “predecessor” and “successor” are really all we need to resolve any so-called “problem” in Daniel about this person.  — Also, I want to point to the lack of knowledge about Belshazzar out side of the Bible until the 19th century as proof of the books authenticity. Furthermore, the claims that Daniel made a mistake in identifying Belshazzar as the “son” of Nebuchadnezzar are nothing more than critical grumblings that were began when skeptics were forced to eat crow when it it was discovered that Daniel’s mention of a previously unknown Babylonian ruler had been vindicated.

Thanks, I always find it enjoyable;  digging into these things.  And if you are interested in further reading, I would recommend the Word Press link above.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther

Messages In This Thread
Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Jehanne - March 14, 2018 at 12:01 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Joods - April 21, 2018 at 10:51 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Amarok - March 14, 2018 at 12:04 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by shadow - March 14, 2018 at 12:55 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by brewer - March 14, 2018 at 10:05 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by veoli - March 14, 2018 at 2:52 pm
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Joods - March 14, 2018 at 3:57 pm
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by AFTT47 - March 17, 2018 at 10:32 pm
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Aegon - April 19, 2018 at 11:51 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by John V - April 24, 2018 at 11:46 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by RoadRunner79 - April 27, 2018 at 8:17 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last French Survivor of D-Day Leon Gautier dies at the age of 100 (Monday July 3rd) Leonardo17 0 352 July 8, 2023 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Carter Cool AGE..... Brian37 5 429 October 7, 2020 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Sal
  This has to be the most chilling thing he has done. Brian37 29 1642 September 8, 2020 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Old age stories in the news..... Brian37 10 1049 December 29, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stephen Colbert Rips Jeff Sessions a New Asshole Minimalist 78 6971 June 18, 2018 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Walmart raises minimum age requirement for buying Guns and Ammo Sterben 15 1702 March 2, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stephen Fry reveals prostate cancer diagnosis Antares 7 743 February 23, 2018 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Stephen Colbert - The WLB Sings The Anthem Minimalist 3 503 January 10, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Charles Jenkins has died Sterben 0 434 December 13, 2017 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  This Douchebag Should Have Died. Minimalist 0 459 October 4, 2017 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist