Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76.
(April 27, 2018 at 7:05 am)alpha male Wrote:
(April 26, 2018 at 5:24 am)Hammy Wrote: Yes. And for something to be at all plausible within the realm of science it has to be falsfiable... and all evidence is empirical, and empirical evidence is exactly what science deals with.

OK, you're merely dressing up materialism.

That's not an an argument and it has nothing to do with materialism... it would still apply if idealism is true (and maybe it is?).
(April 27, 2018 at 7:05 am)alpha male Wrote:
Quote:Wrong. As soon as something is unfalsifiable it's outside the natural world and therefore non-empirical and therefore there's impossible to have evidence of it within our natural world... which is the only world we live in.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/popper/

Quote:Popper accordingly repudiates induction and rejects the view that it is the characteristic method of scientific investigation and inference, substituting falsifiability in its place. It is easy, he argues, to obtain evidence in favour of virtually any theory, and he consequently holds that such ‘corroboration’, as he terms it, should count scientifically only if it is the positive result of a genuinely ‘risky’ prediction, which might conceivably have been false.

This doesn't apply to things outside the natural world. He's talking about science in case you didn't notice.

And his point is that whereas there can be evidence from other theories... falsifaiblity is the best approach and this is why it is now the standard of science. Other forms of evidence are not considered scientific anymore... that was my point there.

If you want to claim that the evidence you have is unfalsifable and unscientific still weak evidence then that's one thing... but to claim that it's evidence of something outside the natural world is another. It can't be. There is no theory of science that addresses things outside the natural world. You know this so your point is simply a red herring.

Furthermore, other theories can also be interpreted from a point of view of falsfiability... to say that you can take the approach of confirmation and that can work as well doesn't mean it couldn't work even better through falsfiaiblity. Neither can apply to God because God doesn't even reside in the natural world.

I believe in causality outside of the known universe but I don't pretend that there is evidence of that like you do. If you wanna call that faith simply because it is belief without evidence that is one thing: But I wouldn't call basing a belief no less probable than improbable based on all information we can ever possibly gather (none) to be faith.

This is not the case with God. With God you are postulating a complex entity outside the universe that is unknowable by definition but also has certain characterisics... it's all very unparsimonious. It's not like you're having faith in A as opposed to not A when not A is no less parsimonious than A. I wouldn't call that faith. The A you choose as opposed to the not A is a complex entity rather than no complex entity. That requires evidence and you're just going completely against Occam's razor.

P.S. No one is on block for me now. I will get back to talking to Khem and Roadrunner but once someone starts repeatedly ignoring all my points in one particular thread I'll start ignoring them in that particular thread... while making it clear that I'm ignoring them because they're ignoring my points so it's pointless discussing with them.

I have to remind myself why I have these debates. It's not just because I want to correct and be corrected... it's because I want to correct and be corrected and if the one person or I is corrected I want the person who is incorrect to be willing to acknowledge it and to actually want to learn from the discussion.

If someone has repeatedly demonstrated that they are not trying to be helpful in a discussion... I will ignore them in that thread and tell them that's why: Because they not only ignored my points but showed no interest in stopping doing so. So the discussion simply becomes a waste of time and energy for the both of us.

I have also decided that from now on I will kudos people for being helpful in a debate whether I agree with them or not. Form now on kudos doesn't mean simply "I agree with this post." It can simply mean "I'm particularly enjoying this debate because it seems to me like we're actually debating properly".

Messages In This Thread
Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Jehanne - March 14, 2018 at 12:01 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Joods - April 21, 2018 at 10:51 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Amarok - March 14, 2018 at 12:04 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by shadow - March 14, 2018 at 12:55 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by brewer - March 14, 2018 at 10:05 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by veoli - March 14, 2018 at 2:52 pm
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Joods - March 14, 2018 at 3:57 pm
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by AFTT47 - March 17, 2018 at 10:32 pm
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Aegon - April 19, 2018 at 11:51 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by John V - April 24, 2018 at 11:46 am
RE: Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. - by Edwardo Piet - April 27, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Last French Survivor of D-Day Leon Gautier dies at the age of 100 (Monday July 3rd) Leonardo17 0 358 July 8, 2023 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Carter Cool AGE..... Brian37 5 446 October 7, 2020 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Sal
  This has to be the most chilling thing he has done. Brian37 29 1666 September 8, 2020 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Old age stories in the news..... Brian37 10 1072 December 29, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stephen Colbert Rips Jeff Sessions a New Asshole Minimalist 78 7026 June 18, 2018 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Walmart raises minimum age requirement for buying Guns and Ammo Sterben 15 1726 March 2, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stephen Fry reveals prostate cancer diagnosis Antares 7 766 February 23, 2018 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Stephen Colbert - The WLB Sings The Anthem Minimalist 3 511 January 10, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Charles Jenkins has died Sterben 0 443 December 13, 2017 at 10:26 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  This Douchebag Should Have Died. Minimalist 0 463 October 4, 2017 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: Minimalist