Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
I first sought out this place from curiosity back in 2015. I had become loosely acquainted with a girl whom I then became facebook friends with, and she always posted atheist stuff on her profile. She was one of those New Atheists, so she said some pretty "out there" stuff, to say the least. Anyway, I always saw her posts but never commented on them because I was afraid of making her mad or starting drama that would then lead to awkwardness. I did want to comment though. Mainly I wanted to ask her stuff and just have a better general understanding of what was going through her mind, because her's was a sentiment I had not encountered before, and I was curious. 

That's when I got the idea to look for an atheist forum where I could engage with very different minded people and ask them questions about their views, without having to worry about making things awkward with someone I knew in real life. 

So, why did I join? Simply for the desire to engage in discussions with people of differing views, stemming purely from curiosity on my part. 

I was overly polite when I first joined because I wanted to get the message out loud and clear that "I come in peace", basically. 

Nowadays, I stick around for several reasons. One is still curiosity of course, as there's always things to learn about people who are so different from yourself. But apart from that I've also made several "internet friends" here whom I enjoy conversing with online. Everyone is a personality and their own different little character and I enjoy that. Another reason is that its became a great escape/distraction from a very difficult real life thing I've been going through. Because of the type of members in this forum and the general nature of this forum, I hardly ever run into very many triggers here from the thing that has been haunting me in real life. It really has become a great escape for me. 

So now that ya'll know why I'm here, perhaps you're wondering why I didn't list "to spread the word" as one of my reasons. 

Well, for one thing I really don't think it is realistic to convert someone via internet. Especially since everyone here has already heard of Christianity and already heard of Jesus. There is nothing different I can say that will convince anyone here to follow Christ. The belief in Christ and desire to follow Him have to come from within. 

With that being said, if a seed was planted on anyone here (either lurker or whatever) due to something I said, I would love it of course, but I certainly don't expect it. The best I expect I can do in that regard is be true to myself and be a good example of Christianity, and hopefully squash some of the stereotypes people have of us here. If at least that happens, I'm happy.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums - by Catholic_Lady - May 3, 2018 at 9:48 pm