Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
Neo, you are probably correct that "setting a good example" most likely won't do anything on a forum as far as planting a seed goes. While I listed that as a possible reason for a Christian to be here, I also conceded that it is an unrealistic expectation and probably not worth it for someone who's only reason to be here is to plant seeds. So I agree with you there. I also stated that it is not my personal reason for being here. As I said, my reasons are pass time, not mission.

...Which brings me to respond to Alpha and GC. "Why not do something else as a passtime," you ask? Well, I do. Someone mentioned going on walks, which was coincidental because I meet with a couple of friends nearly every day for a 2 mile jog or speed walk lol. This isn't the only hobby I have or the only thing I do. It is true that I don't currently have a job outside being a homemaker, and that I'm not nearly as social as I would like to be and used to be a couple of years ago. Some difficult life circumstances which I'd rather not talk about have put me in a position that has caused me to really isolate myself, and this is just where I'm at right now. We will be moving to our next assignment come July, and I plan on taking that as an opportunity to get a part time job again and break back out into the world a little more. Sure, I could join a Christian forum instead, and I have in the past. But I think when it was suggested that I join a Christian forum instead, it was overlooked that the reason I enjoy this place it specifically because I like to have discussions with people who have very different views. I find it much more interesting, and I feel I grow from that. I won't get that by joining a Christian forum, and it isn't as interesting to me.

Anyway, I didn't mean to go on a little personal tangent there^, but figured I'd clarify where I'm coming from since there was quite a bit of talk surrounding what CL does with her time lol. Now, with that being said, I don't think it is detrimental for a Christian to use AF as a passtime, which seems to be a topic of concern here. Bible verses are being brought up talking about how we shouldn't be in the company of swine (or some other negative term). Thing is, I don't think it is good to dismiss people as swine simply for their religious beliefs (or lack thereof). Do you guys think atheists in general are bad company, or just the ones here? Because apart from having made some online friends here, I have a couple of good friends in real life too, who are atheist, and perfectly nice and decent people. We just don't talk about religion. Should I stay away from them as well because they are atheist?

Another point that keeps getting brought up: Does everything we do need to glorify God? Can't we enjoy neutral activities, such as going out with friends, eating brownies, or watching The Bachelor? In my opinion, those are perfectly fine, neutral activities that neither glorify nor offend God. And so is conversing with/debating with atheists online.

Now, with all that being said, if this site isn't something you are enjoying, if you feel you are being misrepresented and mistreated, I can't justify you staying. I agree with Neo and Alpha that planting seeds here is unrealistic. If your only reason for being here is in hopes of planting seeds, you are wasting your time, IMHO. (As much as I would like you both to stay because the diversity makes this site more interesting.) Neo, I remember you telling me once about a particular poster here you really respected and enjoyed debating with, and I remember shortly thereafter seeing that same person just spewing some horrible, vile things to you. She seemed like she really hated you. I remember feeling bad because she was someone you genuinely liked. So I know exactly what you are talking about, because I've seen it. I would love for you to stay, but if this isn't healthy or good for you, please don't.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums - by Catholic_Lady - May 7, 2018 at 11:12 am