Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
@Neo/Whole Group

I understand your point about it being difficult to think of posting here as falling under "do all to the Glory of God" and therefore not a legit role for a Christian. I think it depends on how one approaches the posting. I think if someone pursues the roles of correcting misconceptions, establishing a dialog, and planting seeds that may someday bear fruit, in a Christlike manner, that would qualify as doing it for the Glory of God. HOWEVER, I struggle with this. It's easier if I'm just explaining doctrine--that's kind of a neutral thing. But if I am pointing out someone else's error, I like to "win"--especially when the other person is antagonistic (which is usually the case). I'm also condescending at times if the person is confrontational rather than seeking a discussion. These are not Christlike actions and I am clearly not posting "for the Glory of God". That does not mean that it can't be done. 

That brings up the question though that what if we systematically choose to call stupid "stupid", pursue combative language when people are over the top, be condescending to people not interested in a discussion, or exchange insult for insult (as almost all of us have done)? I think this outright wrong. Let me explain.

POINT 1
We have chosen to identify ourselves as Christians and not by some generic deist worldview title.  A Christian is a follower/representative/disciple of Christ. By claiming the title 'Christian' we have created an obligation for ourselves to live up to:

1 Peter 3:15 But in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to articulate a defense to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But respond with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who slander you will be put to shame by your good behavior in Christ. 

II Timothy 2:14 Remind the believers of these things, charging them before God to avoid quarreling over words; this is in no way profitable, and leads its listeners to ruin. 15 Make every effort to present yourself approved to God, an unashamed workman who accurately handles the word of truth...24 And a servant of the Lord must not be quarrelsome, but he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, and forbearing. 25 He must gently reprove those who oppose him, in the hope that God may grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth.

POINT 2
We, self-identified as Christians, have chosen to come to a place consisting mainly of atheists. Without any public caveat to the contrary, this decision creates an ambassador relationship: 

II Corinthians 5:18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to Himself in Christ, not counting men’s trespasses against them. And He has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 Therefore we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making His appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.

CONCLUSION:
Necessarily, these two choices that we have made establishes a different relationship with the community (any non-Christian community) in that it creates the obligation that the verses above describe. To call stupid "stupid", pursue combative language, be condescending to people, or exchange insult for insult (as all of us have done) is to fail in this obligation. To systematically fail in this obligation is objectively wrong. 

Agree? Disagree? If you don't want this obligation, is there something that can be done to avoid it?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums - by SteveII - May 9, 2018 at 12:51 pm