Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
@SteveII, All –

The verses you quoted are indeed relevant and instructive. At the same time, I believe we cannot allow Paul’s general admonitions to become a strictly binding rule. Just as there is no contradiction between mercy and justice, I do not see any contradiction between approaching non-believers graciously and the necessity of directly, proportionately, and persistently confronting evils and exposing falsities. The Word gives hope but first it convicts.

We cannot favor proof-texts over the broad Scriptural narrative in which God rebukes idolatry and warns of wrath through the bold witness of His prophets and the saints. Nor do these servants refrain from resorting to harsh words and even insult, as follows:

In Mathew 3:7-10 John the Baptist calls out to the Pharisees and Sadducees “O generation of vipers, who has warned you to flee from the wrath to come?”

In Mathew 12:34-37 our Lord, echoing the same, addressed the scoffing Pharisees as “You brood of vipers!”

In Acts 2:40 Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit urges the gathering crowd to “Be saved from this corrupt generation.”

In Romans 1:21 Paul says of the pagan culture ” their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.” (i.e they had become willfully ignorant and foolish.

In Matthew 11:20-22 Jesus harshly chides those who witnessed the clear signs of His divinity, as follows: “Then Jesus began to denounce the towns in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent. “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you. Those were not kind words.

Moses did not stand meekly before Pharaoh.  Ezekiel did not refrain from humiliating the faith of the priests of Baal. Did Sampson turn his cheek to the Philistines? Was not the stone with which David slew Goliath not an allusion to the Rock of Truth on which our faith rests?

Perhaps AF is the crucible in which we engage the truly demonic lies of the Enemy that have ensnared many non-believers, lead many lies into ruin (including many Christians tainted by these falsities) and are undermining our culture. While I agree that the model of “gentleness and respect” is the preferred approach we must remember that the example of Jesus not just a suffering servant. He is also the victorious Lion of Judah!

@A_Theist - I no longer know exactly why I remain. My continued participation on AF, this thread in particular, will hopefully help me gain clarity. If it is a bad habit for me, as Alpha suggests it is for him, then I should go my way. But if I stay then I must be clear on why. Given the recent trolling I have endured and the betrayal of respected friends, I almost resolved to quietly go my own way without fanfare. I have not yet done so because I refuse to let myself be bullied into leaving. If I ever decide to leave it will be on my own terms, not out of disgust: but rather, because I have better things to do.

Sidenote - I'll stick with "Old Rugged Cross" and "What a Friend we have in Jesus." Ever hear Johnny Cash's version of "Personal Jesus?" It almost makes me cry to hear how he transforms the mockery of Depache Mode into a beautiful song of profound Grace.

That concludes my statements and responses on the topic; although I would be happy to  clarify any of the points I presented. I look forward to the remaining contributions of everyone else.
<insert profound quote here>

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums - by Neo-Scholastic - May 10, 2018 at 10:32 am