Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
(May 21, 2018 at 11:13 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: Our next question comes from Kit:

What if god never existed at all and early man concocted him from the imagination for the sake of comfort during a time of overwhelming uncertainty?

I'm going to narrow it to the Christian God.

So then it would be the case that:

1. The 40 or so authors of the Bible lied for reasons that are not only unclear, but incomprehensible
2. Jesus' take on the true nature of humanity was a lucky guess
3. Billions of people have lied (sometimes for their entire lifetime) about some relationship with God and the effects it has on them.
4. Billions of people have falsely bought what other have told them is true and what they themselves have intuitively believed to be true. 
5. Million (if not billions) of supernatural-->physical events previously ascribed to God because of the context were just lucky deterministic coincidences that just so happened to perpetuate the "concocted...imagination"
6. Life has no ultimate meaning, purpose, or value. 
7. I don't think there is a good grounds for libertarian free fill--despite out intuition. 
8. Our cognitive abilities were developed for survival--not truth. Calls into question...well...everything. 
9. We continue to have big gaping holes in questions like:
  • why anything at all exists
  • the origin of the universe
  • why the universe is fine-tuned for intelligent life
  • what is consciousness
  • abiogenesis 

I want to point out that the theory slipped into the question does not have any evidence to support it. It is pretty much just the entailment of the premise: God does not exist.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums - by SteveII - May 22, 2018 at 12:10 pm