Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
I would ask the questioner why she seems to believe these are mutually exclusive. It is somewhat appalling that many an atheist will only ascribe self-serving motivations to Christian beliefs. Could it not simply be that seeking to live an authentic life also entails gaining a deeper understanding of Providence, relationship with the Divine, and appreciation of transcendent aspects of reality, such as Goodness, Truth, and Beauty, that go beyond the evolved instincts of a pretentious primate?

Scripture teaches us that faith in Christ leads all men and women, not just to proximate truths, but to the very Truth that gives life.

“…I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.” – John 10:10

“…I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” – John 14:6

“And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” – John 8:82

Scripture also teaches us that apart from the saving Truth of Christ we are slaves to sin, embracing falsities and prone to various evil obsessions and compulsions.

“… all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? We therefore were buried with Him through baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may walk in newness of life.” – Romans 6:3,4

Salvation is not limited to participation in some distant paradise. “Eternal life” is not just enduring temporal extension. It is the promise of eternally present joy in every moment.

”Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” – James 1:2-4

Salvation is freedom in the here-and-now that comes from knowing the Truth. It is overcoming using the power of His strength. It is the privilege of serving, not from enlightened self-interest or supporting a worthy cause to feel good about ourselves (these being incidental); but rather, first and foremost, to bring glory to His Grace working through us.

Finally, why is it wrong or suspicious to hope for a world in which the following will be true?:

“And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.” – Revelation 21:4
<insert profound quote here>

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums - by Neo-Scholastic - May 30, 2018 at 1:32 pm