Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums
(May 30, 2018 at 12:14 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: Our final question is taken from a thread by Jörmungandr:

Are theists in it because they desire to know the truth, or are they simply in it for the swag?

In this case, the swag is: A sense of meaning and purpose, better health, an eternal life, and whatever other goodies that theists imagine come along for the ride.

I would also add that it provides a sense of belonging to an in-group, complete with all sorts of out-group boogeymen (gays, atheists, Muslims, liberals). It seems to me the parable of the good Samaritan explains the perils of an in-group out-group mentality pretty well.

Are you personally motivated by the truth of God's existence or the swag? What about the majority of Christians?

This is the final question. I am waiving the limitation on posts per day. Post and discuss as much as you'd like, but try to wrap up discussion on this question by Thursday. Just remember to not quote each other using the quote feature. Friday will be final statements.

Two quick points:

1. I think that Christians see Christianity as the best explanations for the reality they perceive. 
2. I think the fact that there have always been Christians persecuted in some quarter of the world with still today "215 million Christians experience high, very high, or extreme persecution" answers the alternative that is proposed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our role(s) as Christians on Atheist Forums - by SteveII - May 31, 2018 at 1:43 pm