Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The American Dream" is just a myth we tell ourselves
RE: "The American Dream" is just a myth we tell ourselves
You probably did hear it, and you did those things anyway.  The data collected only validates something that's been a truism of folk knowledge for generations.

It's presence is ubiquitous in common expressions, songs, novels, movies, and the lived experience of the poor. It's at least as old as the alger myth, which may have been the authors direct response to those criticisms and general feeling. The failures (and end) of initial westward expansion created circumstances or exposed a reality that deadened whatever sense of unlimited american opportunity and mobility that existed prior to, after which point it carried on in the uninformed fantasies of migrants from other countries whose only experience of the US were those very same propagandist myths and legends. On life support, it got a hell of an assist by simply disregarding the demographics of the US for which american opportunity had never been true in the first place.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: "The American Dream" is just a myth we tell ourselves - by The Grand Nudger - April 16, 2019 at 9:56 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 988 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why do we hate the American military institution? WinterHold 16 823 November 23, 2021 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1319 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1596 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  American imagery from movies from 90s and 80s Sweden83 8 1536 December 5, 2020 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "Tell All" books and politics........ Brian37 18 873 September 6, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 762 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  I like that American left are miserable Snora 82 6673 March 24, 2019 at 7:47 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Venezuela and Saudi Arabia in the eyes of the American one-eyed foreign policy WinterHold 9 1302 February 4, 2019 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  It's Just One Vote and It's Just One Carbon Footprint Duty 16 929 October 26, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: brewer