Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The American Dream" is just a myth we tell ourselves
RE: "The American Dream" is just a myth we tell ourselves
It's tricky, because to act as though lower class America is hopeless and there's no way to emerge victorious, by common definition at least, would be just plain wrong. Hard-working individuals who know where to apply themselves and constantly look to the wisdom of others, whether it is through books or the successful people around you, pretty much always advance. Very few people are actually willing to dismantle the comforts of their lives, no matter how small, in order to advance their minds and careers. Then these people, who are not particularly lazy but are not particularly driven either, blame the system. Unfairly.

That being said, there are legitimate structures in place to prevent people from rising. The American economy is purposefully designed to benefit the wealthiest, and rent-seeking keeps their billions up there... not down here. To channel Minimalist for a second, the only thing trickling down from the wealthy is their piss. Income inequality is horrendous, and no matter how positive every economic factor is, the middle class continues to shrink and the classes that spend the most of their money hopelessly watch as their purchasing power stagnates...while everything else gets more expensive. It is pretty despicable, and people have every right to complain. I can see, logically speaking, why people would say that social mobility is downright impossible. They're wrong, but I can 100% see why they would say it.

At the end of the day, it's about psychology. If you really don't think it's possible for you as an individual to make something of yourself and die with more wealth (financial and personal, however you define it) than you had when you first became an adult -- you won't. Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right. So it's entirely unproductive to think there's no use to putting in the effort required to pick yourself up. You may not be wrong about income inequality and the issues we have, and these needs to be addressed through more progressive economic policy... but when you look at your own life and all you do is blame the system and hiss those who found success -- you're undoubtedly setting yourself up for complete and total failure.

But I am just a 23 year old baby, so... take that as you will.

They say the zip code in which you grew up is the greatest factor in determining how successful you may be. They're technically right, but I don't think it's the right conclusion. The psychology of the individual is the greatest factor. My girlfriend volunteered to teach young children how to read in the worst area of Washington DC. Sectors of the District are plagued with gun violence and gang culture, and the children who grow up in that environment have one specific belief firmly implanted in their psyche: this is my life now and forever. They have no expectations of getting out of that environment. They may long to be in another place, but beyond that vague daydream they have no expectations of themselves, except the ones that the society have dictated... which would be...well, not a whole lot outside of being a member of a tight-knit squad that you can rise up in (as long as you don't die.)

When you don't have faith in yourself, you're guaranteed to stay stuck where you are. Guaranteed.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Messages In This Thread
RE: "The American Dream" is just a myth we tell ourselves - by Aegon - April 16, 2019 at 1:41 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happens if you "tell" a police to f**k off? Freedom of speech? Duty 16 989 April 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why do we hate the American military institution? WinterHold 16 823 November 23, 2021 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1326 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Donald Trump is the best American president that USA has ever had Edge92 21 1603 June 4, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  American imagery from movies from 90s and 80s Sweden83 8 1536 December 5, 2020 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "Tell All" books and politics........ Brian37 18 878 September 6, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 764 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  I like that American left are miserable Snora 82 6682 March 24, 2019 at 7:47 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Venezuela and Saudi Arabia in the eyes of the American one-eyed foreign policy WinterHold 9 1303 February 4, 2019 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  It's Just One Vote and It's Just One Carbon Footprint Duty 16 930 October 26, 2018 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: brewer