Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Ask a Caregiver for a Dying Parent
RE: Ask a Caregiver for a Dying Parent
Thanks, I didn't think I had the strength, but you just kind of do it.

Her nutrition is being maintained with special formula via a g-tube. It's a high-calorie brand because she can't eat any food at this point. Only after radiation has she been able to swallow water again. She will never do what she doesn't absolutely want to do, so we definitely don't get as many calories in as we'd like, but we do what we can.

Very minimally now. That's recent. She's able to use a commode in her bedroom.

The best part of my day is when I make it downstairs and see she's "okay" and spend some time with her. The worst part of the day is when I wake up and think about what's happening until I get eyes on her.

We have a visiting nurse and practitioner who come visit. My sisters used to help with getting her to appointments, but she's stopping treatment, so that won't be a thing anymore. My father helps as much as he can when he's not at work, but Mom's very cranky with him, and often will snap at him and want me anyway. My sister from Maine comes to visit every other weekend. Those are my breaks. Tibs does a few things, but not the medical and care stuff, just making sure she's okay, grabbing her drinks, supporting me, etc. ETA: Which is very significant. Tibs is super supportive.

Messages In This Thread
Ask a Caregiver for a Dying Parent - by Shell B - June 19, 2019 at 1:45 pm
RE: Ask a Caregiver for a Dying Parent - by Shell B - June 19, 2019 at 3:27 pm
RE: Ask a Caregiver for a Dying Parent - by Shell B - June 19, 2019 at 3:48 pm
RE: Ask a Caregiver for a Dying Parent - by brewer - June 19, 2019 at 4:29 pm
RE: Ask a Caregiver for a Dying Parent - by Shell B - June 19, 2019 at 4:49 pm
RE: Ask a Caregiver for a Dying Parent - by brewer - June 19, 2019 at 10:15 pm
RE: Ask a Caregiver for a Dying Parent - by Shell B - June 19, 2019 at 10:33 pm
RE: Ask a Caregiver for a Dying Parent - by SteelCurtain - June 19, 2019 at 10:40 pm
RE: Ask a Caregiver for a Dying Parent - by The Valkyrie - June 19, 2019 at 10:51 pm
RE: Ask a Caregiver for a Dying Parent - by Shell B - June 20, 2019 at 10:06 am