Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we also talk about the pleasures of good wine?
RE: Can we also talk about the pleasures of good wine?
(March 13, 2020 at 10:51 am)Dundee Wrote: If it comes to white wine in Germany, then I prefer these 3 grape varieties:
Riesling, Traminer, Gewürztraminer.

Red wine - that is another matter.

My personal taste OFC, I prefer red over white wine. I got hold of a rare Douro wine called the Oboé that had 17 % alcohol in volume. That stuff was a nice fruity wine and you couldn't feel the alcohol, at least till it got to your head. Gunpowder bottled I tell ya. Do not confuse Douro wine with Porto wine, Porto is sweet while Douro is pure red. Porto wine it's in its own category.

(March 13, 2020 at 10:24 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: That's too bad.  I hope it's still in operation with whomever it was sold to.  

They do really well running from the back to the door on the north wall.  High single cordon.  The yield under cover is insane...but the flavor is uninteresting - just sweet.  I've been told that planting the root in soil outside the wall, and training the vines in through a collar...would solve this problem.  Best of both worlds.  Still only makes sense when you don't have alot of grapes, and you need to keep every one alive and producing at their fullest.  

Winter injury is a big problem here in the bluegrass.  Then we've got the usual pests and disease, and the usual customers concerned about products used to control those.  If you're trying to grow european varieties, especially heirlooms....for a discerning customer..you pretty much have no other options given the climate here.  Real shame, because soil is great - and alot of it is tough to find responsible use for on account of slope.  So we grow american hybrids and count on terroir to make up for any real or perceived difference between them.

Regrettably, the buyers removed the vinyard to make a mansion. *nods head*

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can we also talk about the pleasures of good wine? - by LastPoet - March 13, 2020 at 1:21 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you like mulled wine? Dundee 23 918 December 21, 2020 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  Those guilty pleasures Foxaèr 18 1672 October 29, 2018 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious