Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Health advocates do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission
RE: Health advocates do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission
Yeah, it's almost like sometimes, there's a lot of factors to consider, an idea I've never seen you take into account, because literally every post you've made on issues, the solution is invariably all or nothing, and one of these extremes must be the right one. Trying to find a balance that could have a better outcome than either extreme is never an option for you.

While the decision to do massive protests just as America is opening is very questionable, the protesters' anger is very easy to understand, especially after you see the video of George Floyd's neck being pushed to the ground, find out he was kept down for 8:46, learn he was kept down for a bit less than 3 minutes after he lost consciousness (and for possibly passing off a counterfeit $20 bill as real at a convenience store, no less!), and realise that shit like this happens most every day in America.

The reopening protesters were essentially trying to demand something that was going to happen anyway with or without their input, except on a quicker timescale that could potentially lead to a huge spike in COVID cases while they were still increasing. The police brutality problem? I highly doubt that that's going to go away on its own.

And on "all lives?" I'm going to call bullshit. There was never going to be a possible COVID pandemic scenario where everything turns out okay. Concern about All Lives is meaningless when talking about Black people being subjected to police brutality. In situations like this, it's laughably so. A pandemic of this scale is all but guaranteed to cause a lot of deaths and a lot of economic disarray. If you think it's possible to try and manage something of this magnitude without taking "acceptable losses" into account, you clearly have no idea what's going on. It fucking sucks, but that's how it is.

And frankly, protesting something important (read: demanding something now that isn't inevitably coming in a few months anyway), during a time when the curve is actually fairly flat, when most states are starting to reopen, and scientists have enough of a handle on how the disease works that they can give advice on how to protest safely? I can really understand why Ken Wyatt says it might be a bad idea to protest now, but that said, if it can be done safely, I'd say go for it. And, surprisingly, it looks like, whether or not a second wave is going to happen, it's probably not happening now. Probably.

Funny thing, the fact that he seems to view everything like this is probably another point to add to the "Agnostico is more like an NPC than us" hypothesis, he sees a scenario and he only sees the options as:
0: Keep everybody under lockdown.
1: Keep everything open, even if it leads to a spike in cases that the medical facilities have to deal with.

The idea that the option that causes the least damage could be reviewing things on a case by case basis and that maybe the correct balance could be something like (to use a random 9-digit number I generated here) 0.538589898, let alone that at one point a few months ago, it could have been 0.102842757, and in a couple months, it might even be 0.859699987 appears to be entirely beyond his comprehension, which could also explain why he has never reacted to my pointing out that Australia's been slowly reopening over the past month. Which I have done multiple times in the past few weeks.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Health advocates do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission - by Rev. Rye - June 9, 2020 at 8:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free COVID tests again arewethereyet 6 478 December 13, 2023 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Covid Foxaèr 10 586 September 28, 2023 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Health Supplement no one 0 284 July 24, 2023 at 7:28 am
Last Post: no one
  These are not the droids you' re looking for.... onlinebiker 10 551 August 12, 2022 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  One of these things is not like the other ones Angrboda 1 396 December 6, 2021 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] SERIOUS POST, Hillbilly Atheist has COVID. Brian37 50 3023 January 8, 2021 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: Hillbillyatheist
  How do you navigate these fora? Apollo 11 571 November 22, 2020 at 4:44 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Question about all these questions popping up. no one 6 655 September 22, 2020 at 12:26 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What are you missing these days? Gawdzilla Sama 18 1453 April 28, 2020 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Where do these idiots come from? onlinebiker 23 2642 April 22, 2020 at 5:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama