Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Logistics of Reparations
RE: The Logistics of Reparations
(September 30, 2020 at 1:46 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: First, you're conveniently leaving out that the original 40 Acres and a Mule  plan was actually focused on land that had been captured by the Union Army in the Civil War, and which probably would have been more palatable to the freed slaves, at least until Andrew Johnson decided to give the land back to the rebels they had stolen them from.
he did repeal the 40 acres in union and reoffered it in south america, or a ride back to africa
Quote:Second, giving up on the whole reparations project solely because the side with all the power wouldn't give the others favorable terms 150 years ago shouldn't mean the idea is a dead option, especially when they've come up with other options than what amounts to a voluntary ethnic cleansing (why, yes, I know it's a contradiction in terms and this example explains why).
it was not given up. for those who wanted to go/hated this country passage was provided and if you wanted your own land and a fresh start one could do so in a the 40 acres and a mule program. the reparations for those who wanted to stay was the right to stay. as many were inbred to the families they served. many of them were given lands to share crop.
Quote:Third, "two (sic) many were adopted and integrated into white families"? Frankly, paternalistic White Man's Burden implications of the whole idea aside, this sounds like the sort of thing that should have been happening more often, if only to try and normalise relations between freedmen and white people.

Finally, I can't help but find it strange that you, as a half-Asian-half-white man, seems to think the default solution to a problem where race is a component is to get non-white people to go away, not even necessarily killed or forced from their homes, just something like this, except applied to an entire aggregate of people:

(And, of course, examples like you are why I reject the power+prejudice paradigm as it applies to individuals.)
you wrongly assume whites are the only purest/racist people on the planet. if you think whites are racist go to old korea. or japan or hell go to africa and not be black skinned. my point is not this was a valid solution, but what they were discussing in that day, and what's more the men and women who were actual slaves were over all happy with what they got. we got to remember different times different people

(September 30, 2020 at 4:24 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(September 30, 2020 at 4:12 pm)Drich Wrote: never said all were. perhaps none by today's standard, but that is not a fair judgement is it because by that standard even slave owners were not well kept. the standard of living was much much lower. some intentionally treated slaves as dogs, and others did not. the treatment of slaves was as unique as the people keeping them. it is well documented that some slaves loved their masters and vise versa. Jefferson was an example that comes to mind as a benevolent owner. again the cost of a slave made him a very valuable investment.
which again is where i concede not all slaves were treated well/like kings, however their treatment was in relation to how the owners themselves lived.
there never was a surplus, as many many white men fought for the south and never owned a slave. many who fought while land owners lived a more meager existence than what a slave could have on a much larger plantation. again there was no set rules to slavery that said all must be beaten so many times a day. that all must be hated, that all must be miserable.
that's not true. by this time many of thee slaves were lighter in color than pure african slaves as they shared a blood line with their masters which is why many of them took their last names after the war like washington smith ect.. they were literally family.
this is proofed out by the fact that before the war started there were far more free blacks in the south than in the north. after the war those who wanted to stay did so. there were many who flooded the big cities which pushed many of the new settlers west.
https://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-america...rth-right/
this was true for some, but again the governement offered a trip back to africa or to colonize south america, many were headed north to work in factories, or you can stay and work your grandaddy's farm.

do not disagree. how ever i would like to point out those who wanted to leave did so.
originally sherman allocated land here for that, and it was over turned. but as an incentive to colonize central and south america lincoln was going to force all black people out and down there with the 40 acres and 2 mules. then johnson tried to sell it but more stayed.

i have a book of letters lincoln wrote i read a while back. he was no abolitionist. while he himself did not care for the practice of slavery he saw the good it did and the evil at the same time. by today's standards lincoln was indeed a racist. he did not see the black man as an equal. the few educated black people he saw as a unique novelties and thought most black people were not able to live as civilized men. not his fault. the science of his day claimed such things for men of 'colored races'. as this was also the prevailing thought for most natives as well. for lincoln he did not care if blacks were to be enslaved for a 1000 years or cared if he had to free them, he just wanted the war to end. he even made this deal to the leaders of the confederacy. It is lincoln's observation on how slaves were treated that i take a large part of and share with you. that and i know that in primary sourced material stuff of the period and not just the revisionist commentary you depend on IE I source period written articles period letters and books written in that time, rather than what some revisionist expert has to say about this man today. same with jefferson. if you read his own memoirs and personal letters that have been published you would know he was a man of great faith in God. and not the atheist revisionist make him out to be. in fact i have taken alot of my own personal belief about God religion and how it all works from a model of what jefferson laid out in his own hand. in 200 years if this website survives someone may look at what i had to say about God the church and jesus and like jefferson determine i am more atheist than any of you. but if you read my personal word and thoughts here for yourself you know this not to be true.

here is a link... i do not remember the name of the book it was something my grandfather/white one always talked about and read us passages out of. i got it after he died and read it once, and many thing stuck with me as it painted a very different picture of lincoln and the era than i ever heard told. this contrast between what i was sold/told in school verses the man's own words and thoughts was one of the reason i reexamined the bible. wanted to see how the church may have gotten things wrong. i still have that first bible and it is full of questions and notes that show contradictions between what i was learning in church at the time and what the bible said. (still hadn't decided to become full on christian yet/had to figure all of this out first)
https://www.loc.gov/collections/abraham-...ollection/ this link is something similar. i don't think there's any run up commentary.. like the book we had explain to whom lincoln was speaking and the circumstance of the letter to give it context.

actually it was letters from lincoln
Lincoln talks to you too!  That's amazing.  Dead people, fictional people, mythical people.  Simply amazing.

It's hallucinations Drich.  You are unstable.
you now making shit up..
letters beeotch letters i learn about the era through his letters I never once said he spoke to me.

Messages In This Thread
The Logistics of Reparations - by onlinebiker - June 24, 2020 at 11:23 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 24, 2020 at 11:30 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - June 24, 2020 at 11:36 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by onlinebiker - June 24, 2020 at 12:30 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - June 24, 2020 at 12:35 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Neo-Scholastic - September 5, 2022 at 9:08 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 24, 2020 at 11:43 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - June 24, 2020 at 12:30 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by onlinebiker - June 24, 2020 at 12:36 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - June 24, 2020 at 12:39 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by onlinebiker - June 24, 2020 at 12:43 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - June 24, 2020 at 1:28 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by onlinebiker - June 24, 2020 at 1:35 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - June 24, 2020 at 1:49 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by onlinebiker - June 24, 2020 at 3:51 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 24, 2020 at 12:32 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 24, 2020 at 1:01 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 24, 2020 at 1:41 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Rev. Rye - June 24, 2020 at 2:13 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 24, 2020 at 2:17 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Rev. Rye - June 24, 2020 at 3:10 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 24, 2020 at 4:14 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Rev. Rye - June 24, 2020 at 4:30 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by onlinebiker - June 24, 2020 at 4:57 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 24, 2020 at 4:33 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 24, 2020 at 5:18 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 24, 2020 at 5:25 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 24, 2020 at 5:55 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Rev. Rye - June 24, 2020 at 9:41 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 24, 2020 at 10:56 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 25, 2020 at 12:25 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Mister Agenda - June 25, 2020 at 10:59 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by CarveTheFive - June 25, 2020 at 11:11 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 25, 2020 at 11:45 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by CarveTheFive - June 25, 2020 at 1:09 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 25, 2020 at 1:19 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by CarveTheFive - June 25, 2020 at 1:45 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - June 25, 2020 at 2:03 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Rank Stranger - September 29, 2020 at 1:23 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Architect Of Fate - September 29, 2020 at 3:25 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - September 29, 2020 at 1:26 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Rank Stranger - September 29, 2020 at 3:43 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Architect Of Fate - September 29, 2020 at 3:56 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Rank Stranger - September 29, 2020 at 5:14 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Architect Of Fate - September 29, 2020 at 5:19 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Rev. Rye - September 29, 2020 at 6:09 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - September 29, 2020 at 6:11 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Architect Of Fate - September 29, 2020 at 6:41 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Anomalocaris - September 29, 2020 at 7:17 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Drich - September 30, 2020 at 1:04 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - September 30, 2020 at 1:34 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by arewethereyet - September 30, 2020 at 1:37 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Drich - September 30, 2020 at 4:12 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by arewethereyet - September 30, 2020 at 4:24 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Rev. Rye - September 30, 2020 at 1:46 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Drich - September 30, 2020 at 4:30 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by HappySkeptic - September 30, 2020 at 4:45 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Rev. Rye - September 30, 2020 at 5:05 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by onlinebiker - September 30, 2020 at 5:32 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - September 30, 2020 at 5:43 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Fake Messiah - March 18, 2022 at 8:19 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Cecelia - August 5, 2022 at 1:01 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Fake Messiah - September 4, 2022 at 2:39 pm
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Doug1943 - August 3, 2022 at 6:10 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Aegon - August 3, 2022 at 10:28 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - August 3, 2022 at 6:42 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Doug1943 - August 3, 2022 at 7:38 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - August 3, 2022 at 7:58 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Grand Nudger - August 3, 2022 at 8:44 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by The Architect Of Fate - September 5, 2022 at 9:40 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by Goosebump - April 1, 2023 at 6:46 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by arewethereyet - April 1, 2023 at 6:51 am
RE: The Logistics of Reparations - by arewethereyet - April 1, 2023 at 6:54 am