Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful
RE: [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful
(March 16, 2021 at 5:49 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(March 16, 2021 at 2:20 am)Seax Wrote: Why are you so mad? It affects you in no way whatsoever, since you live in a secular state & you don't believe in Catholicism.

So, only those things which affect us immediately and personally are worthy of concern?

I'm neither Tutsi nor Rwandan, but that genocide affected me.

I'm not a parent, but I'm angered by child abuse.

I'm neither Muslim nor Arab, but I object to the characterization of all members of these groups as terrorist.

I'm not elderly, but elder abuse makes me angry.

And so on.

Boru

Catholicism is a belief system that anyone in a secular society is free to adopt or abandon. It's a false analogy.

The foundation of a free society is freedom of conscience; individuals are allowed to think for themselves and make up their own minds, to seek the truth for themselves. Necessarily this means that others will hold believes one thinks are wrong; that is their right. You are allowed to be an atheist, and others are allowed to be Catholic, according to their personal conscience.

You have every right to tell the Catholic Church that they are wrong, but you have no right to insist that they change their religion to suit you. You wouldn't like it if the Catholic Church started telling you how to run this forum.

(March 16, 2021 at 12:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(March 16, 2021 at 11:56 am)Brian37 Wrote: Do you have any concept of the word "Nuance"?

The Pope/Vatican does have power and influence. But not in any western government law making power. 

He only has power over those who follow him. Nobody in the open free west is mandated by government to worship him or his religion. He has no power over same sex couples. 

His proclaiming the Vatican cannot bless same sex unions because "it is a sin" is an attempt for that institution to assert power over others.

You’re the one who implied that the Pope had the power to make law, not me.

He actually does have some power over same sex couples, if those couples happen to be Catholic. Even if they aren’t Catholic, he can refuse to let them be married in a Catholic Church.

Boru

Which is his right. No one has the right to be married in someone's else church, especially not in a country like America with thousands of denominations & where anyone is free to start his own if none of the preexisting ones suit him.

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful - by Seax - March 16, 2021 at 4:01 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 35463 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 1986 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why are you (still) a Christian? FrustratedFool 304 18627 September 29, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Tongue Scrupulosity - a Catholic disorder ? Bucky Ball 2 359 July 27, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: emjay
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8216 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1220 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Catholic Church against Cesarean section Fake Messiah 24 3989 August 14, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1367 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic Bishops statement on Biden. brewer 9 788 January 25, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88909 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte