Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When will psychology finally be recognized as a pseudoscience?
RE: When will psychology finally be recognized as a pseudoscience?
(May 16, 2021 at 10:56 pm)Belacqua Wrote: 1) It is an extremely strong cultural cliche -- a received idea -- that Americans are individualists and Japanese are group-oriented. My experience has been that this is true in some ways and not in others. In some situations the pressure to conform is stronger in America than it is here. So I read carefully to see if the researchers had built this assumption into the methodology. 

I recently began reading a book about "tight" and "loose" cultures (groups that have strong or weak norms). I wonder if this framework helps make sense of your observations. For example, the book shows that states within the U.S differ in their tightness. Tightness also differs by location: libraries are tight, but parks are loose. And activities: funerals might be tight and weddings might be loose. So perhaps the situations you have in mind are differing on this front.

Quote:2) As always, the number of test subjects is small, and they are all university students. So that's a limitation.

Yes, there's a few things I could mention here. First, you're right about the group demographics. There's an acronym in psychology called WEIRD, which stands for western, educated, industrialized, rich and democratic. It sums up the kinds of undergraduates that are often used in studies. It wouldn't invalidate the study necessarily, but it does affect its generalizability. And secondly, the sample size is probably fine. They used around 40 participants on average. There is this unofficial (and often critiqued) rule that a sample size of 30 is the magic number. The number is obviously inaccurate, and there's ways of calculating the right number (which I assume the researchers did). But 30 is a good anchor to know because people tend to overestimate the number of participants thats needed.

That said, I do want to add something important—this is what we do in my graduate classes. Every week we are assigned one or two research papers, and we spend about three hours discussing and critiquing them in class. We talk about what the study did wrong or right, or could have done better (including all the critiques you mentioned). Science is a conversation, and in my classes we are learning to have that conversation. But its clear to me that being scientific and being right are not synonymous. Everyone is still "doing science" even when improvements could be made.

Messages In This Thread
RE: When will psychology finally be recognized as a pseudoscience? - by John 6IX Breezy - May 17, 2021 at 12:12 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intelligent Design Is Pseudoscience: Creationist Lies About Evolution Debunked CodeDNA 7 987 April 22, 2023 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: no one
  evolutionary psychology evolcon 163 9850 October 15, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Help with a term from psychology. Gawdzilla Sama 37 5112 December 12, 2017 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Positive Psychology Bahana 21 2303 October 7, 2017 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Russia Declares Homeopathy "dangerous 'pseudoscience' that does not work" FatAndFaithless 58 14308 February 12, 2017 at 11:24 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Finally, no more excuses for holding back farts abaris 18 5601 December 13, 2014 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Unabomber on Psychology of a Liberal goddamnit 6 5333 July 1, 2012 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Psychology of Religion Annik 2 2670 May 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Psychology of religious belief OnlyNatural 11 3775 April 25, 2011 at 2:23 am
Last Post: Justtristo