Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When will psychology finally be recognized as a pseudoscience?
RE: When will psychology finally be recognized as a pseudoscience?
(May 17, 2021 at 6:33 am)Belacqua Wrote: What I was thinking about in Japan was that in certain kinds of prescribed areas, eccentricity or individuality is accepted very easily. Maybe we can say it's a tight society, with pockets of looseness. The overall tightness means that how people respond to oddballs is also restricted, which makes them more secure. 

Yes, that's exactly right. I remember reading something about that in the book. Here's an excerpt:

"For example, even tight nations have select domains where anything goes—where citizens can let off normative steam. The looseness of these contexts tends to be carefully designated. Take Takeshita Street in Tokyo. Within the confines of this narrow pedestrian shopping street, Japan’s cultural demands for uniformity and order are completely suspended. On Takeshita Street, people stroll and preen in zany costumes, ranging from anime characters to sexy maids to punk musicians."

Quote:I had assumed that more always meant better, but maybe not. 

More is definitely better, but it isn't always significantly better. It might be analogous to increasing the resolution of an image; you get more clarity with more data but there isn't a sudden overhaul of information. Here's an excerpt form one of my textbooks:

"If you take a look at some studies on perception and memory, you will see that they include sample sizes of between 20 and 50 subjects per condition. However, if you are only collecting one measurement per subject or are asking subjects to complete surveys and questionnaires, you may need to include a larger sample. Many such studies include sample sizes in the hundreds. If you are sampling from a small population (e.g., autistic children), you may need to use a small sample of only 10 to 20 subjects due to lack of availability of individuals in this population and the difficulty you may have in recruiting such subjects."

Quote:Are you involved in any research of this type? Probably you don't want to be too specific in public here, but I'm curious if this is part of your grad school so far.

I'm not currently involved in research, but many people are, and I hope to be next year. So far my courses involve seminar discussions a final research proposal at the end of the course, in which you have to design or propose your own research/theory paper.

Messages In This Thread
RE: When will psychology finally be recognized as a pseudoscience? - by John 6IX Breezy - May 17, 2021 at 4:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intelligent Design Is Pseudoscience: Creationist Lies About Evolution Debunked CodeDNA 7 987 April 22, 2023 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: no one
  evolutionary psychology evolcon 163 9844 October 15, 2021 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Help with a term from psychology. Gawdzilla Sama 37 5111 December 12, 2017 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Positive Psychology Bahana 21 2300 October 7, 2017 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Russia Declares Homeopathy "dangerous 'pseudoscience' that does not work" FatAndFaithless 58 14308 February 12, 2017 at 11:24 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Finally, no more excuses for holding back farts abaris 18 5601 December 13, 2014 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Unabomber on Psychology of a Liberal goddamnit 6 5333 July 1, 2012 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Psychology of Religion Annik 2 2670 May 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Psychology of religious belief OnlyNatural 11 3775 April 25, 2011 at 2:23 am
Last Post: Justtristo