Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims
RE: Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims
(June 7, 2021 at 7:38 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote:
(June 7, 2021 at 7:16 pm)Helios Wrote: I specifically said type, not number. Please actually read what I write.

Interesting, my search tool failed to find the word "type" in your comment. But it did find Number; Less developed; and Development as accumulation. Are these not the phrases you used?

Quote:Yes, it is arbitrary there is no objective reason to value a put significance on fertilization as opposed to anything else. Simply saying "but a new organism " is no more significant than some else saying " but two people fucked " or "it now has eyes" you're simply attributing significance to it.

There's no need to ascribe value to fertilization; that is beginning of a new organism whether you value it or not (and I know you do not). Fertilization also marks the beginning of a pregnancy (I know, pregnancy is so irrelevant to abortion but humor me lol).

Quote:Nope, it's not avoiding it's simply not wasting time on irrelevant points or getting dragged down in pointless rabbit holes. That's the only thing I have demonstrated and there is nothing contradictory about it. Pro-choice is reasonable. 

Saying that fertilization and development (a pregnancy) are irrelevant to abortion, is like saying that preparation of food is irrelevant to cooking. Pro-choice cannot be reasonable if it maintains such an unreasonable position.

Sorry, late to the party in this convo, but I think Helios' point is that fertilization is one milestone in a series of milestones. It is preceded (and succeeded) by a number of necessary milestones which eventually ends up in an alive and birthed human.

You could wind the clock back to when the couple first locked eyes at the bar: if that never happened it would be just as detrimental to the child being born as would an abortion. I think we tend to put emphasis on fertilization (as humans) because that's the point when "the deed is done" from a human perspective. No more human work is (necessarily) required beyond that point. Nature takes care of the rest.

Again, sorry if this point was made earlier and I missed it, but I always saw fertilization --not as arbitrary-- but at least not "extra special" as some pro-lifers tend to see it. As far as the organism is concerned it's one thing (among many) which must happen for the organism to eventually be born.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims - by vulcanlogician - June 7, 2021 at 7:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 12421 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 1903 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2693 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Why is Jesus in third place when he deserves first? Greatest I am 25 4528 September 22, 2020 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Did Mary and Joseph ever have sex? Fake Messiah 41 7148 March 18, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4316 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 5524 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus decompose? Natachan 77 5725 March 26, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Jesus suffering vs eternal suffering of temporary sinners purplepurpose 72 9195 November 19, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8385 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda