Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims
RE: Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims
(June 7, 2021 at 8:16 pm)John 6IX Breezy Wrote: Given that fertilization is the beginning of a new organism,

But is it? Fertilization has causes. The egg would not have been fertilized were it not for "the couple had intercourse," or some other cause that is necessary for fertilization to happen in the first place. That's the point.

You're choosing the middle domino as the "beginning of a new organism," ... but what I'm saying is that there are many dominos before that (and after that) that are necessary for a human birth. Why not assign equal weight to those?

Now I understand Helios' use of the word "arbitrary." Because, in the grand scheme, fertilization is not an arbitrary process. But what's arbitrary is you naming it the beginning of the organism.

Quote:I'm not sure how the preceding events have relevance? Whether those events involved sex, locking eyes, fertility clinics, or the vast array of colorful methods used by different species to bring gametes together, fertilization is the only necessary process by which a new organisms is created.

There are single-celled organisms that bypass this process. And (hypothetically) you could do the same with humans. 

Let's consider a collection of totipotent cells. You could leave them alone to gestate into a single human life form... OR you could carefully separate them and create potentially hundreds of life forms.

So let's say that a scientist decides to create two humans from a collection of totipotent cells (otherwise he'd have left them to gestate into a single one). That means two "new people" would be generated instead of just one. And (in many senses) if the two people were generated, the one that would originally have grown would not. So how is "fertilization" (ie. the event that creates the collection of totipotent cells) responsible singly for any of these three potential lives?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why did Jesus suffer for sinners and not victims - by vulcanlogician - June 7, 2021 at 8:40 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 12421 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 1903 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2693 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Why is Jesus in third place when he deserves first? Greatest I am 25 4528 September 22, 2020 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Did Mary and Joseph ever have sex? Fake Messiah 41 7148 March 18, 2020 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Did Jesus ever have a perm? Cod 32 4316 April 3, 2019 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why did the Jews lie about Jesus? Fake Messiah 65 5523 March 28, 2019 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Aliza
  Did Jesus decompose? Natachan 77 5723 March 26, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Jesus suffering vs eternal suffering of temporary sinners purplepurpose 72 9195 November 19, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8383 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda