Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If people were 100% rational, would the world be better?
RE: If people were 100% rational, would the world be better?
You're being unkind, I'd give you more than 5%. Still, I'd avoid dumping my negatives as irrational. Perhaps capitalism and nationalism are rational, and objection to either/or is the 95% of you/us that's a-rational.

Don't you think it's strange that the things we don't like..are the things we commonly imagine to be irrational? That the things we do like would be what we would do, if we were more rational? Supposing we were 5% rational and we did that, if we were 35% rational..would we do less of that, or be more convinced in the strength of our arguments to that effect?

Would a more rational nationalist or capitalist advocate be more convincing, and would a more rational audience have fewer objections than you or I might to a given idea poorly situated in either of our a-rational valuations? The percentages could float, what we're discussing would be gain of function. Doesn't gain of function apply to propaganda just as much to philanthropy? Is the relationship between them linear, such that a gain of rational function makes propaganda more effective, but makes people equally more effective at spotting it (whether internal or external) and it all washes out, our could one thing be a more effective function multiplier than the other?

I suppose, in a nutshell, I'm wondering whether you see your position on those matters as arguable - as rational, or is it a function of how you see the world that both those things (or any other example) are fundamentally a-rational and non arguable as such. If we were more rational, perhaps we'd expect the world to be more rational. What positions are rational by default? Anti-nationalism and anti-capitalism? What objections to either do you think people might have if they were more rational, how do you come to possess them at our currently meagre rationality, and are they truly representative of an increase in rationality and accordance to the rational default?

Let's take a couple that I think you and I might share an opinion of. Nationalism ala third positionism. Trumpism. A populist white ethnostate. Do you think that it wouldn't work, or that it would be ethically wrong? Full on free market oxygen-by-the-second-for-profit capitalism. Again, that it wouldn't work, or that it would be ethically wrong? Why would we not do those things, or would they hold less sway, if we were more rational? Do you think that avoiding practical irrationality would prevent that, or is this a comment about wrong avoidance as a rational default. Something like, "If people were more rational, they'd be more ethical"?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: If people were 100% rational, would the world be better? - by The Grand Nudger - July 24, 2021 at 6:34 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you were accused but were innocent ... GrandizerII 40 2893 December 3, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  An easy proof that rational numbers are countable. Jehanne 7 1994 February 22, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Argument from "better to seek proper vision". Mystic 53 5832 October 25, 2017 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is the fear of irrational fears rational? ErGingerbreadMandude 26 6168 August 13, 2017 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 3538 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What if Creationists were Athiest for a day? ScienceAf 59 5810 August 29, 2016 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Afterlife, I'd be happy if it were true..... maestroanth 35 3694 June 12, 2016 at 3:13 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Oxford Metaphysics Podcasts - 100+ available online, free Heat 0 710 April 5, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Heat
  Is world better without Saddam? TrueChristian 90 11609 December 31, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In regard to the rational person's choice Mohammed1212 23 5958 April 27, 2015 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: noctalla