Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If people were 100% rational, would the world be better?
RE: If people were 100% rational, would the world be better?
(August 9, 2021 at 11:20 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Is conscious experience not also a thing of value?  I suspect the answers to that question will be as varied as conscious viewers are.  Perhaps that's why we tend to presume that people who fail to see any of that value, anywhere, aren't playing with a full deck..or, to be generous, having their best or most reasonable day.

I mean, don’t get me wrong. Maybe I’m not playing with a full deck, lol. I can’t rule that possibility out myself, I suppose. 

Quote:Another fun thought to play with down the rabbit hole.  If value is fundamentally subjective, than conscious experience is literally the value maker.  All value proceeds from it, and without it nothing is of value.

You have me thinking then, can the value-assigner assign value to itself? That seems wrong to me. Something is valuable if it serves some purpose to the value-assigner. What purpose does my own existence serve to myself? What am I even saying? My own existence serves the purpose of me existing? That seems circular, or like a tautology. Can we even talk about the valuation of things within our existence and the value of our existence itself in a comparative way that is reasonable? 

Quote:Would it be fair to say, then, that you see many rational reasons for life, or for a selective preference for life, or for why equilibrium seeking produces the compulsion?  Other than all of those reasons, or any of those rational cases, you cant see a reason or rational case for life.

I’m not sure I’m convinced they’re rational. I don’t know yet. I’m thinking on it. I keep going back and forth, tbh. If simply wanting live is a rational case for life; life for life’s sake and nothing more; then isn’t not wanting to live equally as rational? 

Quote:Kloro thinks there's no reason/value/purpose to life because it isn't god value.  You have a value category that you're inquiring about too..but it's not the set of rational cases for life.  You're aware of some and can imagine that there are more, but those cases don't satisfy that set you have in mind.

I think many theists use god-value and eternal existence interchangeably, though the latter doesn’t necessarily follow from the former. Would theists care as much about how much god values them if a promised eternal afterlife wasn’t part of the shtick? If they had the same awareness of inevitable annihilation as we do? I’m thinking probably not. It’s permenance that most theists (and some atheists) want. I’m not sure they’d even care about a god if they knew they could have it without one. @Neo-Scholastic is welcome to jump in on this one. I’d be curious to hear his thoughts.

Quote:This statement strongly suggests that you do want it, and don't want it to end.

Correct. But that isn’t one of the choices.  The choices are exist for as long as possible and then not exist, or not exist. They seem the same to me. So, how is it irrational to simply decide to choose the second and not bother with the in-between at all?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: If people were 100% rational, would the world be better? - by LadyForCamus - August 10, 2021 at 10:39 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you were accused but were innocent ... GrandizerII 40 2977 December 3, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  An easy proof that rational numbers are countable. Jehanne 7 2034 February 22, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Argument from "better to seek proper vision". Mystic 53 5930 October 25, 2017 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is the fear of irrational fears rational? ErGingerbreadMandude 26 6264 August 13, 2017 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 3663 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What if Creationists were Athiest for a day? ScienceAf 59 5910 August 29, 2016 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Afterlife, I'd be happy if it were true..... maestroanth 35 3819 June 12, 2016 at 3:13 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Oxford Metaphysics Podcasts - 100+ available online, free Heat 0 717 April 5, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Heat
  Is world better without Saddam? TrueChristian 90 11883 December 31, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In regard to the rational person's choice Mohammed1212 23 6044 April 27, 2015 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: noctalla