Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If people were 100% rational, would the world be better?
RE: If people were 100% rational, would the world be better?
(August 26, 2021 at 12:35 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote:
(August 26, 2021 at 11:54 am)Ahriman Wrote: Okay......? No need to be so harsh. And so what if I think God favors me over other people? I have every reason to believe that. I have experienced many good things, that a lot of other people have never experienced. Is this not proof of God's favor? If God cared about those less fortunate than me, as much as He cares about me, then those "less fortunate" people, would not be less fortunate.

Yeah, this is either narcissism or some equivalent of the American Prosperity Gospel.

I'm an atheist, and I have a great life.  Does God love me more than some pious refugee?  Does God love me more than those slaughtered by maniacs?  

That's some deity you believe in.  Perhaps you could explain what you believe God is, and what you believe God does (and why).
God is a transcendental masculine spirit, who presides over the universe, and bestows gifts upon those whom He wills. Happy people tend to receive greater gifts than unhappy people, because happy people are generally more appreciative of good things, than unhappy people.

(August 26, 2021 at 12:41 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(August 26, 2021 at 12:29 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Nah, I'm not worthless. Not even close. You can keep that to yourself.

Private truths about your public professions?  Nah.  If you tell me you're an asshole, I will vocally affirm that I believe you, and I will think about you..and people like you, when I consider or plan for things.  To do anything less would be a disservice to the reality of your genuine asshole person.

Wouldn't it?  It would be like denying that you exist and are who you say you are.  Who does that help?  Not you, not me, not some third party.

You're right, though, I was harsh.  You're not worthless.  Society always needs someone we can cut loose to do shitty work.  People who we think so little of that we fling them against things we think might not work with no care for how those people make it out the other end.  As long as they keep thinking they can fuck the other guy, and have theirs..especially by divine mandate - smooth sailing.

The choice here seems to be between being your own completely terrible person, or someone else's useful idiot.  A choice that you could only make for yourself.
You sound like a very caring person.
"Imagination, life is your creation"

Messages In This Thread
RE: If people were 100% rational, would the world be better? - by Ahriman - August 26, 2021 at 12:44 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you were accused but were innocent ... GrandizerII 40 2899 December 3, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  An easy proof that rational numbers are countable. Jehanne 7 1995 February 22, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Argument from "better to seek proper vision". Mystic 53 5833 October 25, 2017 at 1:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is the fear of irrational fears rational? ErGingerbreadMandude 26 6170 August 13, 2017 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 3543 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What if Creationists were Athiest for a day? ScienceAf 59 5817 August 29, 2016 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Afterlife, I'd be happy if it were true..... maestroanth 35 3698 June 12, 2016 at 3:13 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Oxford Metaphysics Podcasts - 100+ available online, free Heat 0 710 April 5, 2016 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Heat
  Is world better without Saddam? TrueChristian 90 11614 December 31, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  In regard to the rational person's choice Mohammed1212 23 5961 April 27, 2015 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: noctalla