Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York Gov Cuomo charged with sexual harrasment/hostile work environment
RE: New York Gov Cuomo charged with sexual harrasment/hostile work environment
(August 3, 2021 at 11:53 pm)Foxaire Wrote: I guess they did something bad?

Perhaps being the exception to the rule of straight white men being the culprit?

Mack basically acted as the Ghislaine Maxwell to Keith Rainere of NXIVM with a side order of turning this abuse into a full-blown cult. Melanie Martinez allegedly raped one of her friends.

Sure, the majority of the celebrities disgraced in the wake of the MeToo movement were straight white men, but, frankly, they were already the ones with all the power. I’ve heard arguments that if there were more LGBTQ, PoC, or women (or whatever random gender identity becomes mainstream) in positions of power, this would somehow not be as much of a problem, but cases like these, many of the same power dynamics that kept people like Harvey Weinstein in power were still at play despite Spacey being gay, Cosby being black, Alison Mack being a woman, and Melanie Martinez being a Bisexual Latina. The more I look at the issue, the more convinced I become that, while the straight white male power structure is still a factor, the problem may be in the nature of power itself, how it attracts those who can easily be corrupted or are already corrupt. How the possibility of being powerful enough to intimidate the authorities can easily make one lose any inhibitions. How the prospect of being able to abuse their power over another is intoxicating.

We can break the straight white male hegemony, but, for the life of me, I can’t see how the power dynamics inherent in many of these relationships (used in its broadest definition, for lack of any better word that isn’t as charged as that one) is going to change with that.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Messages In This Thread
RE: New York Gov Cuomo charged with sexual harrasment/hostile work environment - by Rev. Rye - August 4, 2021 at 12:12 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cincinnati Cop Charged with murder. Brian37 21 3718 July 29, 2015 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New York City Atheists Upset With Street Sign Containing The Word "Heaven" Judas BentHer 18 5995 April 27, 2012 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: jackman
  Family asks doctors to wait for prayers to work binny 23 6942 June 12, 2010 at 6:53 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Liberalism, atheism, male sexual exclusivity linked to IQ Eilonnwy 20 5582 March 1, 2010 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Eilonnwy