Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
RE: What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
(December 28, 2021 at 6:34 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The French equivalent of the English idiom ‘I have no more fucks to give’ translates as ‘I am painting my balls with the brush of disinterest.’

Please try to use this phrase whenever possible.

Boru

Try using “my balls have been painted with the brush of interest” as a pick up line.

(December 27, 2021 at 12:45 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: If you took out all of the empty space from between and within the atoms making up each human being, the entire human race would fit into the volume of a sugar cube.

Hmmm, not quite true.

Free floating planets, also known as rogue planets, are planet sized bodies with do not orbit any particular star, but drift in  independent orbits around the center of Milky Way.   They have been suspected to exist for a long time, when computer models of planetary system formation suggest young planets are often ejected from their parent systems during very early days of each solar system.

Micro-lensing experiments that simultaneously monitor large numbers of background stars looking for specific patterns of minute transient dimming that indicate passage of planet sized bodies near line of sight to these stars suggest the number of free floating planets in the Milky Way are truly enormous.   There may be up to 10 unattached rogue planets pursuing its own independent orbit about the center of Milky Way for each star in the Milky Way.

Contrary to popular conception of planets being mainly objects found in cohorts in stately or frenetic orbits around stars, and bathed in not always hospitable light of the star, majority of planets in the Milky Way may in fact live out almost their entire existences alone in the Stygian darkness of interstellar space, never approaching any star close enough for its light to cast a shadow except on average once every billion years or so.     

A small percentage of these rogue planets may in fact have never orbited any star, but formed by themselves out of interstellar dust and gas in stunted version of the process that formed stars.   These rogue planets would likely be accompanies by a retinue of moons that formed in the same process.

But majority of rogue planets are likely to be completely alone, because the process that ejected them from their parent solar systems in their youths is likely to have stripped them of 9 out of every 10 systems of moons they once had.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? - by Anomalocaris - December 29, 2021 at 9:48 am
I seriously DID NOT know this. - by Brian37 - August 24, 2021 at 12:27 pm
RE: I seriously DID NOT know this. - by no one - August 24, 2021 at 12:36 pm
RE: I seriously DID NOT know this. - by Ravenshire - August 24, 2021 at 4:53 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1007 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 2166 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 675 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1059 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1060 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Last movie you didn't watch Fake Messiah 43 2692 November 16, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 504 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Today was a good day...why? arewethereyet 35 3385 March 5, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I just found out today. Brian37 2 615 February 12, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Brian37
Brick International Workers' Day today! ReptilianPeon 3 641 May 1, 2019 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician