Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 4:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
RE: What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday?
(March 18, 2022 at 4:06 am)Foxaire Wrote:
Quote:In about 600 b.c. Lycurgus, the famous Spartan lawgiver, put into Sparta’s constitution a provision that banned the circulation and possession of gold, silver, or other precious metals as a means of transacting business and replaced these forms of money with an iron currency, variously reported as being in the form of disc or bars. This provision was part of a plan of social reform intended to spare Sparta the evil consequences of wealth concentrated in the hands of a few citizens.

https://encyclopedia-of-money.blogspot.c...y.html?m=1

They replaced it with the evil consequences of turning 4/5 of the population into helots that can be murdered for sport by the remaining 1/5 of the population, which became a notably unwashed (except in times of war) soldier aristocracy called spartiates.

Btw, the said soldier aristocracy nonetheless managed to concentrate wealth in the hands of a few citizens despite the Lycurgian code after Sparta discovered having lots of wealth is essential if Sparta were too do more than seasonal thuggish hoplites brawls, and conduct real long term campaigns against powerful states with deep pockets that can deploy wealth as part of compressive spectrum of state power.

The cult of Spartan pure warriorism only persisted down to the present age because, paradoxically, Spartan soldiers were unexpectedly smashed by an hitherto unheard of second tier Greek city state called Thebes.  As a result Sparta sank into obscurity before the Spartan solder state can be fully transformed by the torrent of gold flowing into Spartiate hands because, to be blunt, Sparta used generous Persian financial subsidy to defeat Athens and rule Greece.

which brings me to the myth of Spartan warriors fighting against any odds and always fighting to the death as perpetrated by the legend of the last stand of the 300 Spartans against 100,000 Persians at Thermopylae (10-20 times more than 300 stood and most of those who stood to the last were not Spartans) does not conform to general reality.   Anciemt sources agree the Spartans were notably casualty averse, and would usually call for truce and negotiate to extricate their men and in the process leave their Allie’s in the lurch if there were serious danger of high casualties to the Spartiates.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? - by Anomalocaris - March 18, 2022 at 9:34 am
I seriously DID NOT know this. - by Brian37 - August 24, 2021 at 12:27 pm
RE: I seriously DID NOT know this. - by no one - August 24, 2021 at 12:36 pm
RE: I seriously DID NOT know this. - by Ravenshire - August 24, 2021 at 4:53 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How's the weather treating you today? Foxaèr 53 662 2 hours ago
Last Post: Ravenshire
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1071 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Awfully quiet today. arewethereyet 29 2253 April 9, 2023 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Happy Birthday to all the members who were "born" today! Jehanne 7 682 January 4, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  So much for going to town today. onlinebiker 11 1102 February 19, 2021 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My uncle died from COVID19 today. Jehanne 17 1082 November 26, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Last movie you didn't watch Fake Messiah 43 2785 November 16, 2020 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 508 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Today was a good day...why? arewethereyet 35 3522 March 5, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I just found out today. Brian37 2 625 February 12, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: Brian37