Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan.
RE: The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan.
(August 26, 2021 at 12:51 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote: (bold mine)

I do see the withdrawal of the U.S. from the world sphere as a problem, as there are plenty of enemies who want to crush even the idea of democracy.  That is why I disagree that people in Afghanistan will eventually enjoy freedoms. 
Yeah, so..that's one of my many beliefs, and I respect that you might have this right and I have it wrong.  I personally think that you can only punch a human being in the face so many times before they burn every trace of you to the ground and do exactly what they want to do.  Enfranchisement, in my view, is an inexorable product of human being.  Every moment of every day we compulsively seek to employ our agency, and to extend the purview of our agency.

Quote:I don't see freedom as something that can be retained without the willingness to die for it, and I see very little will for that in any nation.  Democracy is not a default condition - it requires a balance between a strong educated populace, and a government strong enough to keep order.  If either side gets too powerful, we get populist autocratic revolution or an elitist oligarchy.
Right, that's where we (may) differ.  I do see democracy as a default.  That people will do whatever they collectively do no matter what the government says and that ultimately that's the shape of government efforts to reform local activity in the mold of it's overarching legal structure. 

Take some actual taliban nutjob, age of 17, male.  He will one day..... inevitably..... want something outside of the boundaries of his descriptors warrant, and be committed to that desire.  

Quote:I see myths as central to the existence of a nation.  The myth of "divine right" held together kingdoms.  The myth of divine succession holds together theocracies.  The myth of "inherent rights given by a creator" holds together liberal democracies.

Today, most people don't give a damn about liberal democracy, as long as they can buy the next iPhone.
What about a bind outside of myth?  I don't believe, for example, that human rights are rightly premised or persuasively argued for on notions of a shared Creator. I've never understood why the status of some creator's existence applied rights to it's creations. Human beings, for example..make many things - and literally none of the things people make have human rights. I guess what I'm asking you, is that if human rights are true, do they or even can they actually be premised on some silly ghost story, or even on the rights (whatever those are) of their very human creators? Such that, if the ghost story were false, human rights would be untrue....or, had they been designed by a computer program, they would have none?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. - by The Grand Nudger - August 26, 2021 at 1:06 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudan: The real cause behind the war WinterHold 4 477 June 14, 2023 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The United States now enters the phase of mass executions. Jehanne 48 3908 November 18, 2022 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1111 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The United States and the growing divide zwanzig 73 3423 September 24, 2021 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Was it a modern day lynching? Not sure it fits the category jasonelijah 29 1186 March 30, 2021 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Trump declaring civil war, turning to global WW3 WinterHold 19 832 November 9, 2020 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  People do not know how close they really are until they start a war with somebody WinterHold 5 910 October 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Apparently 600 million people voted for Trump.. A Godzilla fan 6 906 October 5, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The proxies of today are the world war of tomorrow WinterHold 6 1087 April 29, 2019 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  War is nonsense and manipulation and there is no reason to fight? Interaktive 47 3266 March 31, 2019 at 9:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger