Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan.
RE: The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan.
(August 26, 2021 at 12:51 pm)HappySkeptic Wrote: I don't see freedom as something that can be retained without the willingness to die for it, and I see very little will for that in any nation.  Democracy is not a default condition - it requires a balance between a strong educated populace, and a government strong enough to keep order.  If either side gets too powerful, we get populist autocratic revolution or an elitist oligarchy.

This is certainly true in the case of emergent democracies.  If you examine the case of the USA, we've had only three such challenges that truly required our people to die for democracy, the Revolutionary war, the Civil War and WW2, each nearly a century apart.  We chose to fight all other wars/conflicts.  I agree that democracy does not just happen, but it requires far more principled participation than anything else.  When leaders emerge who demonize large swaths of the population just for disagreeing, like Joe McCarthy and Trump, the truest danger to democracy becomes evident.  Our freedom is our worst enemy.  Because there is no one to swat down discontent, it has a tendency to spread like cancer if the circumstances are just right and there's no one to cut it out.  Unless something changes, I believe this will consume our very democracy in the near future.  Just consider the GOP's current behavior, destroying democracy in the name of saving democracy.

Quote:I see myths as central to the existence of a nation.  The myth of "divine right" held together kingdoms.  The myth of divine succession holds together theocracies.  The myth of "inherent rights given by a creator" holds together liberal democracies.

This has certainly been the case in the past, but I don't believe it is technically necessary.  No one has tried it so we really don't know.  The primary tenets upon which the USA was built are not inherently divine or religious.  If you remove just a couple of words from the DOI, it's basically a humanist manifesto.

Quote:Today, most people don't give a damn about liberal democracy, as long as they can buy the next iPhone.

On this you are absolutely right.  Selfishness (and rampant consumerism is but one aspect) is rotting the soul of our country.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller

Messages In This Thread
RE: The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. - by Spongebob - August 26, 2021 at 3:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudan: The real cause behind the war WinterHold 4 488 June 14, 2023 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The United States now enters the phase of mass executions. Jehanne 48 4023 November 18, 2022 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1153 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The United States and the growing divide zwanzig 73 3551 September 24, 2021 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Was it a modern day lynching? Not sure it fits the category jasonelijah 29 1251 March 30, 2021 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Trump declaring civil war, turning to global WW3 WinterHold 19 906 November 9, 2020 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  People do not know how close they really are until they start a war with somebody WinterHold 5 949 October 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Apparently 600 million people voted for Trump.. A Godzilla fan 6 932 October 5, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The proxies of today are the world war of tomorrow WinterHold 6 1104 April 29, 2019 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  War is nonsense and manipulation and there is no reason to fight? Interaktive 47 3302 March 31, 2019 at 9:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger