Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The prospect of starting a family in today's economic system
RE: The prospect of starting a family in today's economic system
(October 1, 2021 at 11:16 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote: The truth is that the world was never family-friendly. I mean take for instance the life of 17th century Massachusetts judge, Samuel Sewall, which he recorded in his diary. Sewall started his diaries in 1674, a few years after he got out from Harvard.

Dead children form a grim garland around all the volumes of his diary. He fathers sons and daughters regularly, and as often as not they die in early childhood. The reader becomes accustomed to lyings-in and funerals coming within a few pages of each other.

On Monday, December 7, 1685: "About One in the Night my Wife is brought to Bed of a Son, of which Mother Hull brings me the first News: Mrs. Weeden Midwife." This was Henry, who would live for just fifteen days. Sewall describes his funeral on Christmas Eve, carefully listing the mourners and ceremonies.

The drama of Henry's birth and death is repeated over and over. A year later the baby is named Stephen; he survives for six months. Sewall's continual fatherings and buryings are eventually benumbing. There are too many to take in. It is only after his wife has delivered her fourteenth child, in January 1702, that Sewall ends an entry of thanksgiving with the words: "And it may be my dear wife may now leave off bearing."

The terrors of birth rival the terrors of the plague, measles and smallpox. One day, Sewall tells his eleven-year-old son Samuel that he should be ready to die from the smallpox, as nine-year-old Richard Dumer just has. Sam eats an apple as he listens, seeming "not much to mind" — until he says the Lord's Prayer his father prescribes and bursts into terrifying cries.
Your story has been fixed with vaccines and medicine. No longer applies.

The problem is the economy right now. I understand your point, but its not related to the main topic.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The prospect of starting a family in today's economic system - by Macoleco - October 2, 2021 at 12:00 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What you think of USA voting system? Woah0 10 895 August 17, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Hospital system overwhelmed Spongebob 35 2552 August 27, 2021 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  I voted today. Brian37 17 959 October 25, 2020 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Compare Joe Biden In 2012 To Him Today: Signs of Dementia Are Clear ReptilianPeon 11 1906 April 12, 2020 at 6:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The Family Secular Elf 4 498 August 15, 2019 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  Anyone going to watch Mueller today? Brian37 33 5065 July 26, 2019 at 8:24 am
Last Post: Amarok
  The proxies of today are the world war of tomorrow WinterHold 6 1088 April 29, 2019 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Race baiting is economic racism Rickimoto 3 445 April 1, 2019 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Race baiting, economic reasons. But why isnt it defined as racism? Rickimoto 4 512 April 1, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I'm starting to just get exhausted of this adminstration what about you? GODZILLA 34 3150 December 8, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Brian37